Teaching arts and science with the new social media
- 1st ed.
- United Kingdom ; North America : Emerald, 2011.
- Physical description
- x, 395 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Cutting-edge technologies in higher education v. 3.
Q181 .T3514 2011
- Unknown Q181 .T3514 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book covers a wide range of approaches to applying social media in teaching arts and science courses. The first part of the book, Social Learning and Networking Approaches to Teaching Arts & Science, covers collaborative social media in writing courses, the use of wikis as a platform for co-creation of digital content, and powerful data sharing. Part two, Social Media Pedagogies For The Future of Arts & Science Learning, explores the expansive vistas enabled by these new technologies. The use of content posting in public social media forums as an enabler of critical reflection is considered, as is the use of social media to augment face-to-face meetings. The third part, Learning Arts & Science in Three-Dimensional Virtual Worlds, looks to the opportunities and downsides of this immersive technology. Design recommendations for instructors are put forth. Part four, Blogging and Microblogging in a New Epoch of Teaching Arts & Science, looks at a welter of applications and implications for teaching practices. For example, the use of a Twitter as a sandbox where students share ideas before arriving in class or as back-channels to classes is explored.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Charles Wankel ; in collaboration with Matthew Marovich, Kyle Miller, Jurate Stanaityte.
- Cutting-edge technologies in higher education, 2044-9968 ; v. 3
- Available in another form
- Online version: Teaching arts and science with the new social media. Bingley : Emerald, 2011 9780857247810 (OCoLC)714714294
- 9780857247810 (pbk.)
- 0857247816 (pbk.)