Strategic communications for school leaders
- Gunther, Vicki.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 180 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB1033.5 .G87 2011
- Unknown LB1033.5 .G87 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 167-171) and index.
- Acknowledgments Introduction Section I. Why Communication Is Important Chapter 1: The Public Has a Right to Know Chapter 2: School Districts Need to Engender Trust Chapter 3: School Districts Need to Advocate for Themselves Section II. How Best to Communicate Chapter 4: Know Who's Listening and How to Reach Them Chapter 5: Align Communications with District Goals and Values Chapter 6: Show, Don't Tell Chapter 7: Cultivate Credibility Chapter 8: Take Advantage of Technology Chapter 9: Develop a Strategic Communications Plan Section III. It All Comes Together Chapter 10: What Happens When Your Communications Are Working Appendix I Appendix II Appendix III Appendix IV Appendix V Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Gunther, McGowan and Donegan draw on their own experiences and those of others in the field, to explain the importance of communication in school leadership. In focusing on the communication process-why it's critical for schools, and how it can be executed well-they make the case that communication must be a primary emphasis for leaders, not an afterthought. In Strategic Communications for School Leaders, the authors provide the insights and skills necessary for understanding the role of communication in educational leadership. They also lay the foundation for helping leaders-and those that aspire to be-create and execute communication plans that help to win the trust of an increasingly skeptical public and provide a means to advocate for schools' appropriate share of scarce resources. Topics addressed in the book include the following: understanding the audiences and their information channels; aligning the school leaders' messages with their educational goals and values; telling stories and using illustrative examples; delivering honest and credible messages (including admitting mistakes); using technology intelligently and appropriately; and creating and adhering to a communications plan.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Vicki Gunther, James McGowan, and Kate Donegan.
- 9781442209428 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1442209429 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781442209435 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1442209437 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781442209442 (electronic)
- 1442209445 (electronic)