Reliability in scientific research : improving the dependability of measurements, calculations, equipment and software
- I.R. Walker.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xxi, 587 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Walker, I. R., 1961-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Basic principles of reliability, human error, and other general issues
- 2. Mathematical calculations
- 3. Basic issues concerning hardware systems
- 4. Obtaining items from commercial sources
- 5. General points regarding the design and construction of apparatus
- 6. Vacuum system leaks and related problems
- 7. Vacuum pumps and gauges, and other vacuum-system concerns
- 8. Mechanical devices and systems
- 9. Cryogenic systems
- 10. Visible and near-visible optics
- 11. Electronic systems
- 12. Interconnecting, wiring, and cabling for electronics
- 13. Computer hardware and software, and stored information
- 14. Experimental method.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
Covering many techniques widely used in research, this book will help researchers in the physical sciences and engineering solve troublesome - and potentially very time consuming - problems in their work. The book deals with technical difficulties that often arise unexpectedly during the use of various common experimental methods, as well as with human error. It provides preventive measures and solutions for such problems, thereby saving valuable time for researchers. Some of the topics covered are: sudden leaks in vacuum systems, electromagnetic interference in electronic instruments, vibrations in sensitive equipment, and bugs in computer software. The book also discusses mistakes in mathematical calculations, and pitfalls in designing and carrying out experiments. Each chapter contains a summary of its key points, to give a quick overview of important potential problems and their solutions in a given area.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- 9780521857703 (hardback)
- 0521857708 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: