English songs [electronic resource]
- by Vaughan Williams, Butterworth [et al.].
- [Wyastone Leys, Monmouth, Great Britain ; Charlottesville, VA : Nimbus Records : Distributed by A & M Records, p1988.
- Physical description
- streaming sound files.
- Classical music library.
- The water mill / Vaughan Williams ; words by F. Shove (2:54)
- Songs of travel. The vagabond ; Let beauty awake ; The roadside fire ; Youth and love ; In dreams ; The infinite shining heavens ; Whither must I wander ; Bright is the ring of words ; I have trod the upward and the downward slope / Vaughan Williams ; words by R. L. Stevenson (25:16)
- The call / Vaughan Williams ; words by W. de la Mare [i.e. G. Herbert] (2:20)
- A Shropshire lad. Loveliest of trees ; When I was one-and-twenty ; Look not in my eyes ; Think no more, lad ; The lads in their hundreds ; Is my team ploughing / Butterworth ; words by A. E. Housman (12:49)
- The song of soldiers / Hely-Hutchinson ; words by W. de la Mare (2:08)
- King David / Howells ; words by W. de la Mare (5:51)
- Orpheus with his lute : 1st setting 1903 (2:21) ; Linden Lea (2:28) / Vaughn Williams ; words from Shakespeare's Henry VIII (1st work), by W. Barnes (2nd work).
- Included Work
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, 1872-1958. Poems by Fredegond Shove. Water mill.
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, 1872-1958. Songs of travel.
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, 1872-1958. Mystical songs. Call arranged.
- Butterworth, George, 1885-1916. Songs from A Shropshire lad.
- Hely-Hutchinson, Victor, 1901-1947. Song of soldiers.
- Howells, Herbert, 1892-1983. King David.
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, 1872-1958. Orpheus with his lute, 1st setting.
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, 1872-1958. Linden Lea.
- Beginning date
- Ending date
- Songs and song cycles.
- The 3rd work originally for baritone, chorus and orchestra.
- Sung in English.
- Originally issued as a compact disc.
- Analog recording.
- Biographical and program notes by Frank Ganville Barker, and song texts ( p. : ill.) inserted in container.
- Shura Gehrman, bass ; Adrian Farmer, piano.
- Recorded at Wyastone Leys, June 12, 1980 and May 12, 1981.
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2009. (Classical music library). Available via World Wide Web.
- Related Work
- The water mill.
- Songs of travel.
- The call.
- A Shropshire lad.
- The song of soldiers.
- King David.
- Orpheus with his lute.
- Linden Lea.
- Publisher Number
- NI 5033 Nimbus