A PhD is not enough! : a guide to survival in science
- Peter J. Feibelman.
- Rev. ed.
- New York : Basic Books, c2011.
- Physical description
- xix, 144 p. ; 21 cm.
- Feibelman, Peter J.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- Despite your graduate education, brainpower, and technical prowess, your career in scientific research is far from assured. Permanent positions are scarce, science survival is rarely part of formal graduate training, and a good mentor is hard to find. In A Ph.D. Is Not Enough!, physicist Peter J. Feibelman lays out a rational path to a fulfilling long-term research career. He offers sound advice on selecting a thesis or postdoctoral adviser; choosing among research jobs in academia, government laboratories, and industry; preparing for an employment interview; and defining a research program. The guidance offered in A Ph.D. Is Not Enough! will help you make your oral presentations more effective, your journal articles more compelling, and your grant proposals more successful. A classic guide for recent and soon-to-be graduates, A Ph.D. Is Not Enough! remains required reading for anyone on the threshold of a career in science. This new edition includes two new chapters and is revised and updated throughout to reflect how the revolution in electronic communication has transformed the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- First published: Reading, Mass. : Addisson-Wesley, c1993.
- 9780465022229 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0465022227 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780465025336 (ebk.)
- 0465025331 (ebk.)