Unsustainable : a strategy for making public schooling more productive, effective, and affordable
- Tim R. McDonald.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xxi, 115 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Innovations in education series ; 9.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA217 .M274 2011||Unknown|
- McDonald, Tim R., 1985-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 109-113).
- Part 1 Part One: Public Schooling Today is Not Financially Viable Chapter 2 Chapter 1-There is a Productivity Paradox in Public Education Chapter 3 Chapter 2-Schools are not Designed for Performance Part 4 Part Two: Design Matters Chapter 5 Chapter 3-Redesigning Schools and the Public Schooling System Chapter 6 Chapter 4-Understanding New Technologies in Education Chapter 7 Chapter 5-Properly Applying Information Technologies in Education Part 8 Part Three: A Strategy for Improvement Chapter 9 Chapter 6-Make K-12 a Self-Improving System Chapter 10 Chapter 7-Change Requires A Viable Strategy Part 11 Part Four: Moving the Strategy Forward Chapter 12 Chapter 8-Policy Opportunities Chapter 13 Chapter 9-Solutions to Barriers Chapter 14 Chapter 10-Outlook.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- UNSUSTAINABLE frames the problem of cost and effectiveness in America's public schooling system, and provides a strategy to address it. It argues something that many education professionals and policy makers have come to believe but rarely mention: That this country's system of K-12 schooling is not sustainable and is becoming a poorer value each year that goes by. It argues for improving the cost and effectiveness of public schooling through a strategy of innovation that targets productivity. Addressing the question how to do this, the book provides policy recommendations to the state, district, and federal levels. In a final chapter it outlines uncommon strategies for overcoming some of the most difficult political, practical, and structural roadblocks to improvement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Innovations in education series ; no. 9
- 9781607093640 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607093642 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607093657 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607093650 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607093664 (ebk.)
- 1607093669 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: