Using music to enhance student learning : a practical guide for elementary classroom teachers
- Jana R. Fallin, Mollie G. Tower.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xvi, 290 p. : ill. ; 28 cm +1 sound disc (4 3/4 in.) +1 song book (47 p. : music ; 23 cm.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: 1 v. + 1 sound disc + 1 song book
|MT1 .F15 2011||Unknown|
- I. Getting Started 1. Organizing for Successful Teaching 2. A Framework for Teaching and Learning 3. INSIDE the Music: The Basic Elements of Music II. Somos Musicos: Doing What Musicians Do 4. Listening 5. Performing 6. Creating III. Integrating Music Into the Curriculum 7. Using Music to Enhance Learning in Language Arts 8. Using Music to Enhance Learning in Science 9. Using Music to Enhance Learning in Math 10. Using Music to Enhance Learning in Social Studies 11. Relating Music to the Other Arts 12. Favorite Teaching Tips.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415878234 20160603
- Publisher's Summary
- Integrating musical activities in the elementary school classroom can assist in effectively teaching and engaging students in Language Arts, Science, Math, and Social Studies, while also boosting mental, emotional and social development. However, many elementary education majors fear they lack the needed musical skills to use music successfully. Future elementary school teachers need usable, practical musical strategies to easily infuse into their curriculum. Written for both current and future teachers with little or no previous experience in music, Using Music to Enhance Student Learning offers strategies that are not heavily dependent on musical skills. While most textbooks are devoted to teaching music theory skills, this textbook is dedicated to the pedagogical aspect of music. The ultimate goal is for elementary school children to leave the classroom with an introductory appreciation of music in a joyful, creative environment, and perhaps wanting to broaden their understanding. SPECIAL FEATURES Listening Maps help listeners focus on music selections through a clear visual representation of sound. Group Activities reinforce the social aspects of music-making, as well as the benefits of collaborative teaching and learning. Thorough integration of music establishes that music is essential in a child's development, and that the integration of music will significantly enhance all other subjects/activities in the classroom. Learning Aids including Tantalizing Tidbits of Research, Teaching Tips, Thinking It Through activities, Suggestions for Further Study, and a list of Recommended Student Books provide useful resources at the end of each chapter. THE USING MUSIC PACKAGE There are several special resources for both students and teachers: An Audio CD with listening selections from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary Periods. Get America Singing...Again! Volume 1 contains 43 songs that represent America's varied music heritage of folksongs, traditional songs and patriotic songs. The Appendices: A songbook with an emphasis on Hispanic folksongs A recorder music songbook Samples of key assignments and lists of music-related books for children and for teachers The Companion Web site Links to education resources Instructors' resources, including sample syllabi, quizzes, student handouts, and assignment rubrics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415878234 20160603
- Publication date
- With: Get America singing --again / a project of the Music Educators National Conference . Hal Leonard, c1996.
- 9780415878234 (set)
- 0415878233 (set)
- 9780415894739 (spiral : pbk.)
- 0415894735 (spiral : pbk.)
- 9780203838617 (ebk.)
- 0203838610 (ebk.)
- 9780415887960 (CD)
- 0415887968 (CD)
Browse related items
Start at call number: