"Ethnically qualified" : race, merit, and the selection of urban teachers, 1920-1980
- Christina Collins.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 263 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2835.26 .N7 C65 2011||Unknown|
- Collins, Christina.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 181-185) and index.
- "The whole school-accrediting road": the education of New York City teachers
- "Ethnically qualified": recruiting New York City teachers
- The "merit system": exams and alternatives for licensing New York City teachers
- "A political headache": the hiring and placement of New York City teachers
- "Up the ladder through the system": advancing and ending teaching careers in New York City
- Epilogue: urban teacher diversity in the twenty-first century.
- Publisher's Summary
- Why did the New York City school district once have the lowest ratio of minority teachers to minority students of any large urban school system in the country? Using an array of historical sources, this provocative book explores the barriers that African American and Latino candidates faced in attempting to become public school teachers in New York from the turn of the century through the end of the 1970s. Christina Collins argues that no single institution or policy was to blame for the citys low numbers of non-white educators during this period. Instead, she concludes in this deeply researched book that it was the cumulative effect of discriminatory practices across an entire system of teacher training and selection that created New Yorks unique lack of racial diversity in its teaching force. Because of its size and diversity, New York represents a particularly valuable case study to learn more about the history of urban teachers in the United States. And, with the current mandate for qualified teachers under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, this fascinating historical account will be essential reading as we debate who is qualified to teach in public school classrooms now and in the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807751633 20160605
- Teachers > Selection and appointment > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Teachers > Certification > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Minority teachers > Selection and appointment > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Minority teachers > Certification > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Discrimination in education > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Discrimination in employment > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- 9780807751633 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807751634 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: