Multiculturalism and education
- Richard Race.
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 139 p. ; 24 cm.
- Contemporary issues in education studies.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC191.8 .G7 R34 2011||Unknown|
- Race, Richard.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -132) and indexes.
- Acknowledgments-- Abbreviations-- 1. Introduction-- 2. Conceptual, Social and Education Policy Background-- 3. Is Multiculturalism dead? Is Britain 'Sleepwalking into Segregation?'-- 4. Faith Schools and Multiculturalism-- 5. Multiculturalism and Education-- 6. Reflections on Multiculturalism and Education-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441113269 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This title introduces the debate surrounding multiculturalism in contemporary Britain, and the impact this has on education. "Multiculturalism and Education" considers the way we approach multiculturalism and examines the debates concerning developments in wider social, cultural, political and economic contexts. Grounded in a strong conceptual, theoretical framework, this accessible text will guide the reader through this evolving area. Reflective exercises, interviews, chapter summaries and useful websites will encourage and support student learning and the application of new concepts. Recent debates and developments are considered, including: why multiculturalism and education, why now; terrorism, cultural diversity and education; faith schools and cultural diversity; is multiculturalism worth advancing, is it healthy as a concept; and, the potential of citizenship education. "Multiculturalism and Education" is essential reading for undergraduate and postgraduate students on education studies and related courses. This series presents an authoritative, coherent and focused collection of texts to introduce the contemporary issues that are covered in Education Studies, and related programmes. Each book develops a key theme in contemporary education, such as: multiculturalism; the social construction of childhood; urban education; eLearning and multimedia; and, language and literacy. A key feature of this series is the critical exploration of education in times of rapid change, with links made between such developments in wider social, cultural, political and economic contexts. Further, contextualised extracts from important primary texts, such as Bourdieu, Piaget and Vygotsky, will ensure students' exposure to dominant contemporary theories in the field of education. Grounded in a strong conceptual, theoretical framework and presented in an accessible way with the use of features such as case studies, activities and visual devices to encourage and support student learning and the application of new concepts, this series will serve well as collection of core texts for the Education Studies student and lecturer.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441113269 20160605
- Publication date
- Contemporary issues in education studies
- 9781441113269 (cloth)
- 1441113266 (cloth)
- 9781847060181 (paper)
- 1847060188 (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: