Democratic discipline in learning communities : theory and practice
- Clifford H. Edwards.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 181 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3012.2 .E39 2011||Unknown|
- Edwards, Clifford H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-173) and index.
- Chapter 1- Attributes of Learning Communities Chapter 2 - Authentic Fulfillment of Student Needs Chapter 3 - Democratic Discipline and Student Empowerment Chapter 4 - Democratic Discipline and Learning Motivation Chapter 5 - Constructivist Theory, Cognitive Processing, and Learning Preferences Chapter 6 - Inquiry Learning Chapter 7 - Relationships and Communications in Learning Communities Chapter 8 - Democratic Discipline in Learning Communities.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099857 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This book describes in detail the attributes of learning communities and how these characteristics help students acquire a sense of moral responsibility and commitment to fellow students. Clifford H. Edwards provides an account of how schools fail to satisfy student needs and thus promote discipline problems. Special attention is given to children's need for self-direction and how empowering them can promote more responsible learning involvement. There is also a focus on the factors that motivate learning and those that do not and how teachers can help their students become more intrinsically interested in school learning. Constructivist learning theory is presented as the most accepted explanation of how children learn and how it articulates with the learning community approach to education. The inquiry learning strategy is given as the most effective way to apply constructivist learning theory in classrooms. Appropriate relationships and effective communications are presented as essential components of learning communities and how they accentuate the effectiveness of this learning orientation. Democratic discipline within learning communities is described in detail.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099857 20160605
- Publication date
- 9781607099840 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607099845 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607099857 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099853 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099864 (electronic)
- 1607099861 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: