Educational change : from traditional education to learning communities
- Clifford H. Edwards.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 201 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.8 .E36 2011||Unknown|
- Edwards, Clifford H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 181-192) and index.
- Chapter 1-Philosophical Issues Regarding Curriculum and Instruction Chapter 2-Issues Regarding Discipline Chapter 3-School Discipline and Societal Implications Chapter 4-Student Assessment in Learning Communities Chapter 5-The Need for Change Chapter 6-Instruction and Discipline in Learning Communities Chapter 7-Instructional Leadership and Teacher Development Chapter 8-Schoolwide Discipline and Outside Communities Chapter 9-Issues Regarding a Transition to Learning Communities.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099888 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Educational Change: From Traditional Education to Learning Communities outlines the transition of curriculum and instruction as well as classroom discipline historically. Various discipline approaches are described that vary in their applications in terms of the degree of teacher control and student self-direction. Various issues are identified which impact decorum in the schools, in particular the No Child Left Behind Act and associated standardized testing. The need for change in the schools is detailed along with the appropriateness of moving from traditional classroom instruction to democratic discipline as applied in learning communities. The nature of classroom discipline is described in connection with specific components of learning communities. When learning communities are employed in school, the leadership structures needs to be changed. The nature of relationships between school learning communities and communities outside the school are also described. This book explains how the learning community approach to education can be successfully implemented with the modifications that will be required of both teachers and students in making associated changes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099888 20160605
- Publication date
- 9781607099871 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 160709987X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607099888 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099888 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099895 (electronic)
- 1607099896 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: