On the practice of safety [electronic resource]
- Fred A. Manuele.
- 3rd ed.
- Hoboken, N.J. : J. Wiley, c2003.
- Physical description
- xv, 488 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface to the Third Edition. Preface to the Second Edition. Preface to the First Edition. Acknowledgments. Introduction. Superior Safety Performance: A Reflection of an Organization's Culture. Transitions Affecting the Practice of Safety. Defining the Practice of Safety. Principles for the Practice of Safety: A Basis for Discussion. Academic and Skill Requirements for the Practice of Safety. On Becoming a Profession. Heinrich Revisited: Truisms or Myths. Addressing Severe Injury Potential. Observations on Causation Models for Hazards-Related Incidents. A Systemic Causation Model for Hazards-Related Incidents. Incident Investigation: Studies of Quality. Designer Incident Investigation. Comments on Hazards and Risks. Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment. Acceptable Risk. Safety Professionals and the Design Process. Guidelines: Designing for Safety. System Safety: The Concept. Applied Ergonomics: Significance and Opportunity. On Quality Management and the Practice of Safety. A Safety Management Standard: A Futuristic View. On Safety, Health, and Environmental Audits. Behavior-Based Safety. Measurement of Safety Performance. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471272755 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- The completely revised and updated Third Edition of the benchmark On the Practice of Safety thoroughly covers subjects that must be mastered by anyone seeking to attain professional status in the practice of safety. Like its predecessors, the Third Edition provides a solid foundation for the study of the practice of safety in degree programs. Additionally, it serves as a basis for self-analysis by those safety professionals who seek to improve their performance, gain recognition from management for providing value, and achieve professional status. On the Practice of Safety's distinctive essay format provides a penetrating exploration of a variety of subjects not possible in a standard reference. The Third Edition expands on the content of the former edition, adding updated statistics to reflect recent trends and developments in the field. In addition to a greatly extended chapter on quality and safety, author Fred Manuele contributes four new chapters:* Heinrich Revisited: Truisms or Myths* Addressing Severe Injury Potential* Acceptable Risk* Behavior-Based Safety Each chapter is a self-contained unit that offers comprehensive coverage of a particular topic. All of the chapters in the Third Edition reflect the increasing professional incidence of safety, occupational health, and environmental affairs falling under a common management, and address each issue accordingly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471272755 20160605
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information:
Table of contents:
- Publication date
- Electronic reproduction. Somerset, New Jersey : Wiley InterScience. Available via World Wide Web.
- 0471272752 (print ed.)
- 9780471272755 (print ed.)
- 0471721697 (electronic bk.)
- 9780471721697 (electronic bk.)