Early childhood education : history, theory, and practice
- Harry Morgan.
- 2nd ed.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 233 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.25 .M64 M65 2011||Unknown|
- Morgan, Harry, 1926-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 207-223) and indexes.
- 1 Preface 2 Chapter 1: Early Childhood: An Area of Study 3 Chapter 2: Historical Perspectives on Early Childhood Education 4 Chapter 3: Assessment in Early Childhood 5 Chapter 4 : Theoretical Perspectives of Early Childhood Education 6 Chapter 5: How We Know 7 Chapter 6: Public Policy 8 Chapter 7: Developing Literacy in Early Childhood 9 Chapter 8: Play 10 Chapter 9: Critical Race Theory in Early Childhood Education 11 Chapter 10: The Future of Early Childhood Education 12 Glossary 13 Bibliography 14 Subject Index 15 Name Index 16 About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Harry Morgan lays the foundations of what early childhood education is by integrating the history of the field with the philosophy and theories behind this discipline. From birth to age eight, when children become integrated into society through their education at school and at home, Early Childhood Education examines the education of this age group from its historical beginnings to the theories used then and today. The writings and research of philosophers such as Locke, psychologists such as Freud, and pioneers of early childhood education such as Frobel, are covered in this concise text. With lucid and engaging prose, Morgan delineates the beginnings of early childhood education and how it has become an important field of study in education today. This edition has been updated to include recent research and how current practices and culture affect the field today. Also included in this second edition is a new chapter about critical race theory and its implications on early childhood education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781442207431 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1442207434 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781442207448 (paper : alk. paper)
- 1442207442 (paper : alk. paper)
- 9781442207455 (e-book)
- 1442207450 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: