An illustrated guide to relativity
- Tatsu Takeuchi.
- English. Translated from the Japanese.
- [English ed.].
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 256 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QC173.55 .T35 2010||Unknown|
- Takeuchi, Tatsu.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. ) and index.
- Preface-- Part I. Kinematics: 1. Introduction-- 2. Basics-- 3. Galilean relativity-- 4. Einsteinian relativity-- 5. Causality-- 6. Consequences-- 7. Summary of Part I-- Part II. Problems: 8. Qualitative problems-- 9. Quantitative problems-- Part III. Dynamics: 10. The world's most famous equation-- 11. The problem-- 12. Newtonian dynamics-- 13. Relativistic dynamics-- 14. Summary of Part III-- Afterword-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521141000 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Aimed at both physics students and non-science majors, this unique book explains Einstein's special theory of relativity pictorially, using diagrams rather than equations. The diagrams guide the reader, step-by-step, from the basics of relativity to advanced topics including the addition of velocities, Lorentz contraction, time dilation, the twin paradox, Doppler shift, and Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. The distinctive figures throughout the book enable the reader to visualize the theory in a way that cannot be fully conveyed through equations alone. The illustrative explanations in this book maintain the logic and rigour necessary for physics students, yet are simple enough to be understood by non-scientists. The book also contains entertaining problems which challenge the reader's understanding of the materials covered.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521141000 20160605
- Publication date
- Winner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2011.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521763943 20160605
- 9780521763943 (hardback)
- 0521763940 (hardback)
- 9780521141000 (paperback)
- 0521141001 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: