Handbook of research on teaching the English language arts
- edited by Diane Lapp, Douglas Fisher.
- 3rd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 436 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .H234 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Section I: The Language Learner Section Editors Nancy Roser, Maria Franquiz, Allison Skerrett Chapters 1. Valdez, Veronica. & Callahan, Rebecca. Who is Learning Language(s) in Today's Schools? 2. Cazden, Courtney. As Learners Acquire Language 3. Escamilla, Kathy. & Hopewell, Susan. When Learners Speak Two or More Languages 4. Ball, Arnetha., Skerrett, Allison.-- & Martinez, Ramon. Research on Diverse Students in Culturally and Linguistically Complex Language Arts Classrooms 5. Franquiz, Maria. & Pratt, Ellen. Crossing Borders with Language: Teachers and the Transformative Potential of Professional Development Opportunities Section II: Contexts for Language Learning Section Editors Donna E. Alvermann, Christine A. Mallozzi, Cheryl A. McLean 6. Morrow, Lesley Mandel & Dougherty, Susan Early Literacy Development: Merging Perspectives That Influence Practice 7. Strickland, Dorothy & Townsend, Dianna The Development of Literacy in the Elementary School 8. Many, Joyce E.-- Ariail, Mary & Fox, Dana L. Language Arts Learning in the Middle Grades 9. Bean, Thomas W. & Harper, Helen. The Context of English Language Arts Learning: The High School Years 10. Morrell, Ernest. Context Specific Literacy Instruction 11. Muth, Bill & Perry, Kristen. Adult Literacy: A Review from Two Perspectives 12. Brock, Cynthia-- Boyd, Fenice-- & Pennington, Julie. Variation in Language and the Use of Language Across Contexts: Implications for Literacy Teaching and Learning 13. Paratore, Jeanne R. & Yaden, Jr., David B. Family Literacy on the Defensive: The Defunding of Even Start-Omen or Opportunity? 14. Vasudevan, Lalitha & Wissman, Kelly. Out-of-School Literacy Contexts 15. Luke, Allan, Iyer, Radha-- & Doherty, Catherine. Literacy Education in the Context of Globalisation Section III: History and Theoretical Perspectives Section Editors Lesley Mandel Morrow, Robert Rueda, Douglas Hartman 16. Hartman, Douglas K. & Monaghan, Jennifer. Integrating the Elementary Language Arts: An Historical Perspective 17. Levin, Henry. The Consideration of Costs in Improving Literacy 18. Guthrie, John T.-- Taboada, Ana-- & Wigfield, Allan. Alignment of Cognitive Processes in Reading with Motivations for Reading 19. Enciso, Patricia. Sociocultural Theory: Expanding the Aims and Practices of Language Arts Education 20. Jimenez, Robert T.-- Rose, Brian C.-- Cole, Mikel W.-- & Flushman, Tanya R. English Language Learners: Language and Relationships 21. Beach, Richard & Swiss, Thomas. Literary Theories and Teaching of English Language Arts 22. Shanahan, Timothy. Education Policy and the Language Arts Section IV: The Many Faces of Texts Section Editors Peggy Albers, Vivian Vasquez, Jerome Harste 23. Beach, Richard, Hull, Glynda, and O'Brien, David. Transforming English Language Arts in a Web 2.0 World 24. Levy, Rachel and Marsh, Jackie. Literacy and ICT in the Early Years 25. Rowsell, Jennier and Pahl, Kate The Material and the Situated: What Multimodality and New Literacy Studies Do For Literacy Research 26. Tate, Stacie. Media Literacy 27. Wohlwend, Karen and Lewis, Cynthia. Critical Literacy, Critical Engagement, and Digital Technology: Convergence and Embodiment in Global Spheres 28. Albers, Peggy, Vasquez, Vivian, and Harste, Jerome C. Making Visual Analysis Critical 29. Siegel, Margie and Wells-Rowe, Debbie. Webs of Significance: Semiotic Perspectives on Text Section V: Teaching the English Language Arts Section Editors Karen Wood, Nancy Frey, Wen Ma 30. Hruby, George-- Read, Sylvia & Landon-Hays, Melanie. Tracing Instructional Tensions in the Teaching of the English Language Arts: A Primer 31. Tschannen-Moran, Megan & MacFarlane, Bronwyn. I Know I Can!: Teacher Self-efficacy in the English Language Arts Classroom 32. Edmiston, Brian. Teaching for Transformation: Drama and Language Arts Education 33. Ehri, Linnea. Teaching Phonemic Awareness and Phonics in the Language Arts Classroom: A Developmental Approach 34. Rasinski, Timothy. The Art and Science of Teaching Reading Fluency 35. Templeton, Shane. Teaching Spelling in the English/Language Arts Classroom 36. Fisher, Peter-- Blachowicz, Camille-- & Watts-Taffe, Susan. Vocabulary Instruction: Three Contemporary Issues 37. Fisher, Douglas, Lapp, Diane, & Frey, Nancy. Comprehension: The Cooperation of Many Forces 38. Roser, Nancy-- Martinez, Miriam-- & Wood, Karen. Recent Research on Students' Literary Responses 39. Hansen, Jane & Kissel, Brian. K-12 Students as Writers: Research and Practice 40. McLaughlin, Maureen & DeVoogd, Glen. Critical Literacy as Comprehension: Understanding at Deeper Levels 41. Hobbs, Renee & RobbGrieco, Michael. Passive Dupes, Code Breakers or Savvy Users: Theorizing Media Literacy Education in English Language Arts 42. Nelson, Nancy. The Relevance of Rhetoric 43. Gebhard, Meg & Martin, J. R. Grammar and Literacy Learning Section VI: Assessment of English Language Arts Teaching and Learning Section Editors Jennifer D. Turner, Patricia Ruggiano Schmidt, Peter Afflerbach 44. Afflerbach, Peter & Clark, Summer. Diversity and English Language Arts Assessment. 45. Coiro, Julie & Castek, Jill. Assessment Frameworks for Teaching and Learning English Language Arts in a Digital Age 46. Schmidt, Patricia R. & Singh, Sunita. Authentic Professional Development and Assessment for Language Arts Teachers Capacity for Change 47. Turner, Jennifer D. & Hoeltzel, Chrystine. Assessing Every Child: Using Purposeful Language Arts Assessments in Diverse Classrooms 48. Klingner, Janette K.-- Dunsmore, KaiLonnie-- & Edwards, Patricia. Issues in the Assessment of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Special Needs 49. Gunderson, Lee-- Odo, Dennis Murphy & D'Silva, Reginald. Assessing the English Language Learner (ELL) Section VII: Methods of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts Section Editors David Bloome, Thandeka Chapman, Peter Freebody 50. Bloome, David-- Chapman, Thandeka-- & Freebody, Peter. Complexity, Multiplicity, 'Timeliness', and Substantive Engagement: Methodologies for Researching the Teaching of the English Language Arts 51. Athanases, Steven Z. Research as Praxis: Documenting the Dialectical Relationship Between Theory and Practice 52. Freebody, Peter. Policy and Research in the English Language Arts: Massive, Inclusive, and Artful Design Choices 53. Moss, Gemma. Ethnographic Research in Teaching and Learning the English Language Arts: Studying the Cultural Contexts of Teaching and Learning the English Language Arts 54. Carter, Stephanie. Analyzing Text and Talk through Critical Discourse Analysis 55. Chapman, Thandeka K. & Kinloch, Valerie. Emic Perspectives of Research 56. Calfee, Robert C. & Chamblis, Marilyn. Research Methodologies for Large-Scale Instructional and Intervention Studies 57. McNaughton, Stuart. Child Development Studies over Time 58. Smagorinsky, Peter. Theory and Method in Research on Literacy Practices: Adaptations and Alignment in Research and Praxis 59. Liddicoat, Anthony T. English in the Era of Globalisation: Implications for Research Methodologies for English Language Arts 60. Gutierrez, Kris D.-- Bien, Andrea C.-- & Selland, Mackenzie K. Syncretic Approaches to Studying Movement and Hybridity in Literacy Practices 61. Willis, Arlette. Critical Approaches to Research in English Language Arts Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415877350 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Now in its third edition, the Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts-sponsored by the International Reading Association and the National Council of Teachers of English-offers an integrated perspective on the teaching of the English language arts and a comprehensive overview of research in the field. Prominent scholars, researchers, and professional leaders provide historical and theoretical perspectives about teaching the language arts focus on bodies of research that influence decision making within the teaching of the language arts explore the environments for language arts teaching reflect on methods and materials for instruction Reflecting important recent developments in the field, the Third Edition is restructured, updated, and includes many new contributors. More emphasis is given in this edition to the learner, multiple texts, learning, and sharing one's knowledge. A Companion Website, new for this edition, provides PowerPoint(R) slides highlighting the main points of each chapter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415877350 20160605
- Publication date
- "Sponsored by the International Reading Association and the National Council of Teachers of English."
- Previous ed.: 2003.
- 9780415877367 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415877369 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415877350 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415877350 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203839713 (e-book)
- 0203839714 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: