Critical race, feminism, and education : a social justice model
- by Menah A.E. Pratt-Clarke.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 206 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Palgrave Macmillan's postcolonial studies in education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC196.5 .U6 P73 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -189) and index.
- PART I: TRANSDISCIPLINARITY Academic Disciplines A Social Justice Model A Case Study PART II: THE PROBLEM DEFINED The Urban Male Education Civil Rights Law Patriarchy and Black Masculinity PART III: THE CAUSE ATTRIBUTED Females Matriarchy and Feminism Racism and Class Privilege PART IV: THE SOLUTION PROPOSED The Settlement agreement 'For Black Boys Only' Black Nationalism PART V: THE OUTCOME ACHIEVED The Academies Twenty Years Later Remembering our Black Girls.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Critical Race, Feminism, and Education: A Social Justice Model provides a transformative next step in the evolution of critical race and Black feminist scholarship. Focusing on praxis, the relationship between the construction of race, class, and gender categories and social justice outcomes is analyzed. An applied transdisciplinary model - integrating law, sociology, history, and social movement theory - demonstrates how marginalized groups are oppressed by ideologies of power and privilege in the legal system, the education system, and the media. Pratt-Clarke documents the effects of racism, patriarchy, classism, and nationalism on Black females and males in the single-sex school debate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Critical pedagogy > United States.
- Education > Social aspects > United States.
- Social justice > United States.
- Feminism and education > United States.
- Racism in education > United States.
- African American students > Education.
- African American boys > Michigan > Detroit > Social conditions.
- African American girls > Michigan > Detroit > Social conditions.
- Single-sex schools > Michigan > Detroit.
- Educational equalization > Michigan > Detroit.
- Publication date
- Palgrave Macmillan's postcolonial studies in education
- 9780230109575 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0230109578 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: