A new social contract in a Latin American education context
- Danilo R. Streck ; foreword by Vítor Westhelle.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 187 p. ; 22 cm.
- Palgrave Macmillan's postcolonial studies in education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA541 .S77 2010||Unknown|
- Streck, Danilo Romeu.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- A Scenario for Education The New Social Contract: A Map for Educators Emil (Rousseau) and the Limits of Citizenship Autonomy Revisited The Political-pedagogical Dimension of Participatory Budgeting (PB) Pedagogy for a New Social Contract: Some Propositions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230105386 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- A New Social Contract in a Latin American Education Context is committed to what has become known as "perspective of the South:" understanding the South not as a geographical reference but as a vindication of the existence of ways of knowing and of living which struggle for their survival and for a legitimate place in a world where the respect for difference is balanced with the right for equality. The metaphor of the new social contract stands for the desire to envision another world, which paradoxically cannot but spring out of the entrails of the existing one. Could the same contract under which the colonial orders were erected serve as a tool for decolonizing relations, knowledge, and power? Consequently, what kind of education could effectively help structure a new social contract? These are some of the questions Streck addresses.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230105386 20160605
- Publication date
- Palgrave Macmillan's postcolonial studies in education
- 9780230105386 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0230105386 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: