Teaching by design in elementary mathematics, grades K-1
- Jennifer Stepanek ... [et al.].
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 245 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA135.6 .T365 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction Session 1: Getting Started Session 2: Learning Landscape Session 3: Counting and Number Concepts Session 4: Comparing and Ordering Numbers Session 5: Addition and Subtraction Word Problems (Part 1) Session 6: Addition and Subtraction Word Problems (Part 2) Session 7: Children's Strategies: Direct Modeling Session 8: Children's Strategies: Counting Strategies Session 9: Children's Strategies: Numerical Reasoning Session 10: Children's Strategies: Numerical Reasoning Using Ten Session 11: Mathematical Models Supporting Numerical Reasoning Session 12: Designing the Prototype Lesson Session 13: Discussing Results Session 14: Reflecting On and Revising the Prototype Lesson Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412987042 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Strengthen your mathematics lessons through collaborative planning. "Teaching by Design in Elementary Mathematics" is a series of comprehensive professional development guides that help teachers investigate how students learn. Grounded in the latest research, this book is one of three volumes focused on grade-appropriate number and operations topics aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The capstone activity of each book guides the group through the co-creation and implementation of a prototype lesson. The teacher teams then evaluate the impact of the lesson on student learning and work together to revise it for maximum effectiveness. Through the process, teachers develop: deeper content knowledge of important mathematical concepts; improved understanding of how students learn these mathematical ideas; a stronger foundation for developing effective lessons and improving instruction; and, enhanced collaboration skills. Each volume includes a large assortment of reproducible handouts as well as built-in facilitation notes. Teachers will also find helpful resources that address the issue of finding time for school-based professional development and teacher collaboration.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412987042 20160605
- Publication date
- A joint publication with Education Northwest.
- 9781412987042 (pbk. : grades K-1)
- 1412987040 (pbk. : grades K-1)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: