Teaching by design in elementary mathematics, grades 4-5
- Melinda Leong ... [et al.].
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 257 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA135.6 .T369 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction Session 1: Getting Started Session 2: Learning Landscape Session 3: Addition and Subtraction With Like and Related Fractions Session 4: Understanding Equivalent Fractions Session 5: Problem Solving With Rational Numbers Session 6: Decimal and Fraction Relationships Session 7: Comparing and Ordering Decimals and Fractions Session 8: Mathematical Models: Adding and Subtracting Fractions Session 9: Mathematical Games: Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Decimals Session 10: Understanding Standard Procedures Session 11: Instruction to Support Fluency With Standard Procedures Session 12: Designing the Prototype Lesson Session 13: Discussing Results Session 14: Reflecting On and Revising the Prototype Lesson Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412987035 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This professional learning programme for Key Stage 3 mathematics teaching is grounded in the latest research on the characteristics of effective professional development. The materials help teachers: deepen their content knowledge for important mathematical concepts in their grade; increase their understanding of how students learn these mathematical ideas; use their knowledge to develop effective lessons and improve instruction; and, enhance their collaboration skills. The mathematical content of "Teaching by Design in Mathematics" matches content topics in number and operations identified for each grade by the NCTM Curriculum Focal Points. The culminating activity of the programme is the co-creation of a prototype lesson which is taught to students by team members; the team then investigates the impact of the lesson on student learning. The cycle of investigating, planning, teaching, observing, debriefing, and revising a lesson together contributes to a climate of continuous professional learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412987035 20160605
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Elementary mathematics
- A joint publication with Education Northwest.
- 9781412987035 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412987032 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: