Television mockumentary : reflexivity, satire and a call to play
- Craig Hight.
- Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York : Distributed in the United States exclusively by Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 329 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Hight, Craig.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -323) and index.
- Filmography: p. -309
- List of figures Preface Acknowledgements Introduction I: Defining mockumentary 1. Mockumentary discourse: a call to play 2. The mockumentary across media II: Mockumentary in televisual space 3. The televisual space 4. Television and the real: documentary traditions and hybrid forms 5. Television realism, drama-documentary and dramatic verite 6. Comedic traditions: satire, sitcom and comedy verite III: Television mockumentary series 7. Experimenting with mockumentary forms 8. Surveillance and discipline: fake news and mock-reality TV 9. Mockusoaps: people and places Conclusion Filmography Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780719073175 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Mockumentary is now an established part of the spectrum of television styles, with both deep roots in television history and a key part of innovations in the sitcom genre since the 1990s. Tracing the development of mockumentary series within the broader history of traditions of satire, drama and nonfiction programming, the author uses detailed discussions of popular and innovative television series from Britain, the United States, Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. This is the first detailed study of the rich vein of mockumentary television programmes, covering series such as *The Larry Sanders Show*, *The Daily Show*, and the British and American versions of *The Office* to discuss how producers have experimented with mockumentary as a distinctive approach to storytelling.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780719073175 20160605
- Publication date
- 9780719073168 (hbk.)
- 0719073162 (hbk.)
- 9780719073175 (pbk.)
- 0719073170 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: