A repair kit for grading : 15 fixes for broken grades
- Ken O'Connor.
- 2nd ed.
- Boston : Pearson, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 162 p. : ill. ; 23 cm. + 1 DVD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: 1 v. + 1 DVD-
|LB3060.37 .O273 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 156-158) and index.
- Table of Contents Preface Chapter 1 Setting the Stage Key Definitions Purpose(s) for Grades Underpinning Issues Fairness Motivation Objectivity and Professional Judgment Student Involvement The 15 Fixes Chapter 2 Fixes for Practices That Distort Achievement Fix 1 Don't include student behaviors (effort, participation, adherence to class rules, etc.) in grades-- include only achievement. Student Involvement Summary Fix 2 Don't reduce marks on "work" submitted late-- provide support for the learner. Student Involvement Summary Fix 3 Don't give points for extra credit or use bonus points-- seek only evidence that more work has resulted in a higher level of achievement. Student Involvement Summary Fix 4 Don't punish academic dishonesty with reduced grades-- apply other consequences and reassess to determine actual level of achievement. Student Involvement Summary Fix 5 Don't consider attendance in grade determination-- report absences separately. Summary Fix 6 Don't include group scores in grades-- use only individual achievement evidence. Summary Chapter 3 Fixes for Low-Quality or Poorly Organized Evidence Fix 7 Don't organize information in grading records by assessment methods or simply summarize into a single grade-- organize and report evidence by standards/learning goals. Summary Fix 8 Don't assign grades using inappropriate or unclear performance standards-- provide clear descriptions of achievement expectations. Student Involvement Summary Fix 9 Don't assign grades based on a student's achievement compared to other students-- compare each student's performance to preset standards. Summary Fix 10 Don't rely on evidence gathered using assessments that fail to meet standards of quality-- rely only on quality assessments. Summary Chapter 4 Fixes for Inappropriate Grade Calculation Fix 11 Don't rely only on the mean-- consider other measures of central tendency and use professional judgment. Summary Fix 12 Don't include zeros in grade determination when evidence is missing or as punishment-- use alternatives, such as reassessing to determine real achievement, or use "I" for Incomplete or Insufficient Evidence. Student Involvement Summary Chapter 5 Fixes to Support Learning Fix 13 Don't use information from formative assessments and practice to determine grades-- use only summative evidence. Student Involvement Summary Fix 14 Don't summarize evidence accumulated over time when learning is developmental and will grow with time and repeated opportunities-- in those instances, emphasize more recent achievement. Summary Fix 15 Don't leave students out of the grading process. Involve students-- they can-and should-play key roles in assessment and grading that promote achievement. Summary Chapter 6 Summary Appendix: Discussion Guide References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780132488631 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Communicating about student achievement requires accurate, consistent and meaningful grades. Educators interested in examining and improving grading practices should ask the following questions: * Am I confident that students in my classroom receive consistent, accurate and meaningful grades that support learning? * Am I confident that the grades I assign students accurately reflect my school or district's published performance standards and desired learning outcomes? In many schools, the answers to these questions often range from "not very" to "not at all." When that's the case, grades are "broken" and teachers and schools need a "repair kit" to fix them. A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades, 2/e gives teachers and administrators 15 ways to make the necessary repairs. Additional Resources from ATI Visit http://ati.pearson.comto read more articles on assessment, download study guides, and more!.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780132488631 20160605
- Publication date
- "Pearson Assessment Training Institute."
- 9780132488631 (alk. paper)
- 0132488639 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: