Finding, preparing, and supporting school leaders : critical issues, useful solutions
- edited by Sharon Conley and Bruce S. Cooper.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- v, 162 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2831.82 .F56 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1 Chapter 1: From Administrator Recruiting to Retention 2 Chapter 2: Teaching and Preparing School Leaders 3 Chapter 3: Teaching Principals to be Master Teachers, Again 4 Chapter 4: Mid-career Teachers and Principals 5 Chapter 5: New Principal Isolation and Efficacy 6 Chapter 6: Assistant Superintendents Moving to the Superintendency 7 Chapter 7: Superintendent Leadership 8 Epilogue: Thoughts for the Future.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- With dwindling funds and resources, tougher state and federal standards, and fatigue from more regulations and testing, many school administrators are giving up _or 'crashing' and leaving their posts. This book examines the process of preparing, encouraging, and retaining quality leaders at the school and district levels. Beginning with a chapter outlining six steps of critical organizational supports, subsequent chapters address factors in preparing administrator candidates effectively; improving novice teacher retention through principal support and mentoring; utilizing more fully mid-career teachers who come to schools having worked outside of education; the role of isolation in new principals' sense of efficacy; research findings about assistant superintendents about job satisfaction, efficacy, and ambitions for promotion; and finally, contemporary leadership challenges existing at the superintendent level. Concluding with thoughts about administrator accountability, the various chapters offer contemporary views on the preparation, utilization, and retention of school administrators throughout the life cycle. The chapters provide needed insight into what should and must be done to grow the best leaders for US schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607098379 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607098377 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607098386 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607098385 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607098393 (electronic)
- 1607098393 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: