American pop : popular culture decade by decade
- edited by Bob Batchelor.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill ; 29 cm.
- Batchelor, Bob.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. 1900-1929
- v. 2. 1930-1959
- v. 3. 1960-1989
- v. 4. 1990-present.
- Publisher's Summary
- Pop culture is the heart and soul of America, a unifying bridge across time bringing together generations of diverse backgrounds. Whether looking at the bright lights of the Jazz Age in the 1920s, the sexual and the rock-n-roll revolution of the 1960s, or the thriving social networking websites of today, each period in America's cultural history develops its own unique take on the qualities define our lives.American Pop: Popular Culture Decade by Decade is the most comprehensive reference on American popular culture by decade ever assembled, beginning with the 1900s up through today. The four-volume set examines the fascinating trends across decades and eras by shedding light on the experiences of Americans young and old, rich and poor, along with the influences of arts, entertainment, sports, and other cultural forces. Whether a pop culture aficionado or a student new to the topic, American Pop provides readers with an engaging look at American culture broken down into discrete segments, as well as analysis that gives insight into societal movements, trends, fads, and events that propelled the era and the nation. In-depth chapters trace the evolution of pop culture in 11 key categories: Key Events in American Life, Advertising, Architecture, Books, Newspapers, Magazines, and Comics, Entertainment, Fashion, Food, Music, Sports and Leisure Activities, Travel, and Visual Arts. Coverage includes: How Others See Us, Controversies and scandals, Social and cultural movements, Trends and fads, Key icons, and Classroom resources. Designed to meet the high demand for resources that help students study American history and culture by the decade, this one-stop reference provides readers with a broad and interdisciplinary overview of the numerous aspects of popular culture in our country. Thoughtful examination of our rich and often tumultuous popular history, illustrated with hundreds of historical and contemporary photos, makes this the ideal source to turn to for ready reference or research.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313344107 20160609
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Available in another form
- Online version: American pop. Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2009
- 9780313364112 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313364117 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313364129 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313364125 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313364143 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313364141 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313364167 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 0313364168 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313364181 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 0313364184 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: