Musical children : engaging children in musical experiences
- Carolynn A. Lindeman.
- Boston : Prentice Hall, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 252 p. : ill., music ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|MT1 .L58 2011||Unknown|
- Lindeman, Carolynn A., 1940-
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- (The 2-CD Track listings are available at the end of this table of contents.) TABLE OF CONTENTS Introduction Acknowledgements SECTION ONE - Music Learning and Young Children Chapter 1. Young Children and Music: The Prekindergarten Years Infants and Music Musical Experiences for Two-Three and Four-Year Olds Singing Prekindergarten Singing Activity: "Miss Mary Mack" Playing Instruments Prekindergarten Playing Instrument Activity: "Hickory, Dickory, Dock" Creating Music Prekindergarten Creative Activity: "Jazz Fly" Responding to Music Prekindergarten Movement Activity: "Eensy, Weensy Spider" Understanding Music Prekindergarten Music Concept Activity: "Boogie-Woogie Walk" The Prekindergarten Musical Environment Materials, Equipment, and Facilities Music Centers Recommended Time Allocation for Music Chapter 2. Young Children and Music: The Primary Grades Music Learning Experiences Music-Making Experiences Singing Playing Instruments Creating Music Reading and Notating Music Listening to Music Movement The Musical Classroom in the Primary Grades Materials and Equipment Recommended Time Allocation for Music Chapter 3. Developing Concepts about Music Music Concepts Timbre Expressive Qualities: Dynamics, Tempo, Articulation Melody Rhythm Form Texture/Harmony Chapter 4. Reaching all Learners through Music The Inclusive Musical Classroom Speech or Language Disability Specific Learning Disability Behavior or Emotional Disturbance Other Health Disabilities Intellectual Disability Autism Visual Impairment Hearing Loss Orthopedic Disability Gifted and Talented English Language Learners Cooperative Learning Strategies Chapter 5. Curricular Integration and Approaches Curriculum Integration Integrating Music with Other Subjects Integrating Technology Curricular Approaches for Teaching Music The Orff Schulwerk Approach The Kodaly Approach Dalcroze Eurhythmics Gordon Music-Learning Theory Eclectic Approach SECTION TWO - Teaching Music in the Primary Grades Introduction Developmental Characteristics of Kindergarten-Grade 3 Children 30 Musical Experiences for Kindergarten-Grade 3 Children Lesson 1: Music Makes You Smile! 00 If You're Happy (Traditional Children's Song of the United States) Lesson 2: Follow the Leader and Keep the Beat! 00 Gigue from Suite No. 3 in D (Bach) Lesson 3: Let's Play a Game! 00 Here Comes Valerie (Traditional Song from the United States) Lesson 4: Join the Parade. 00 "Parade" from Divertissement (Ibert) Lesson 5: Say "Hello" to Classmates. 00 Hello, There! (Traditional Children's Song) Lesson 6: Speedy or Slow? 00 Boogie-Woogie Walk (Spencer) Lesson 7: Engine No. 9 00 "Engine, Engine" (Traditional Chant) Lesson 8: All Aboard! 00 "The Little Train of Caipira" from Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2 (Villa- Lobos) Lesson 9: Let's Take a Bus Ride! 00 "The Bus" (Traditional) Lesson 10: Breaking Out of the Shell. 00 "Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks" from Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussorgsky) Lesson 11: The Farmer's Dog 00 "Bingo" (Folk Song from the United States) Lesson 12: A Visit to the Zoo 00 "Elephant" " from Carnival of Animals (Saint-Saens) "Aviary" " from Carnival of Animals (Saint-Saens) Lesson 13: Miss Mary Mack 00 "Miss Mary Mack" (African American Clapping Game Song) Lesson 14: Drum Talk 00 "Anaguta Drums" Excerpt (Nigeria) Lesson 15: Head, Shoulders 00 "Head, Shoulders, Baby" (African American Singing Game) Lesson 16: It's Halloween. 00 "Five Little Pumpkins" (Traditional/Words by Pitts) Lesson 17: Grinding Corn 00 Corn Grinding Song (Navajo Indian) Lessons 18/19: The Nutcracker Ballet 00 "Russian Dance" from The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) "Chinese Dance" from The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) Lesson 20: Beats in Two 00 "Skip to my Lou" (Folk Song from the United States) Lesson 21: Artists at Work 00 "Aquarium" from Carnival of Animals (Saint-Saens) "Devil's Dance" from The Soldier's Tale (Stravinsky) Lesson 22: Dancing Down the Alley 00 "Willowbee" (Folk Song from the United States) Lesson 23: Shadow Puppeteers 00 "Kangaroos" from Carnival of Animals (Saint-Saens) Lesson 24: Singing and Signing about Martin 00 "Sing About Martin" ("Miss Jackie" Weissman) Lesson 25: Satchmo is our Jazz Man! 00 "Louis Armstrong Call-and-Response" (Berg, Fitzgerald, McCord) Lesson 26: Stick Game 00 Tititorea (Maori Stick Game from New Zealand) Lesson 27: Gun Hoy Fat Choy! 00 "Song of the Dragon" (Chinese Folk Melody) Lesson 28: Instruments Have Families Too! 00 Toccata, third movement Excerpt (Chavez) Serenade for Wind Instruments Excerpt (Mozart) "I've Got to Be a Rug Cutter" (Ellington) "Spring" from The Four Seasons Excerpt (Vivaldi) Lesson 29: Topsy Turvy Ebeenzer 00 "Ebeenzer Sneezer" (Olson) Lesson 30: Under the Big Top 00 "Circus Music" from The Red Pony (Copland) SECTION THREE Collection of Songs for Classroom Music APPENDIXES Appendix A: National Standards for Music Education Prekindergarten Grades K-4 Appendix B: Collection of Rhymes, Finger Plays, Chants and Poems Appendix C: Resources for Classroom Music Resources for Children Resources for Teachers Appendix D: Reference Material for Music Fundamentals Appendix E: Reference Material for Recorder, Guitar, and Baritone Ukulele Glossary Subject Index Music Index CD Track Title 1 If You're Happy (vocal)* 2 If You're Happy (instrumental)* 3 Gigue from Suite No. 3 in D (Bach) 4 Here Comes Valerie (vocal)* 5 Here Comes Valerie (instrumental)* 6 Parade from Divertissement (Ibert) 7 Hello, There! (vocal)* 8 Hello, There! (instrumental)* 9 Boogie-Woogie Walk (Spencer) 10 The Little Train of Caipira from Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2 (Villa-Lobos) 11 The Bus (vocal)* 12 The Bus (instrumental)* 13 Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks from Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussorgsky) 14 Bingo (vocal)* 15 Bingo (instrumental)* 16 The Elephant from Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saens) 17 The Aviary from Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saens) 18 Miss Mary Mack (vocal)* 19 Anaguta Drums excerpt (Nigeria) 20 Head, Shoulders, Baby (vocal)* 21 Head, Shoulders, Baby (instrumental)* 22 Corn Grinding Song (Navajo) 23 Russian Dance from The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) 24 Chinese Dance from The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) 25 Skip to My Lou (vocal)* 26 Skip to My Lou (instrumental)* 27 Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saens) 28 Devil's Dance from The Soldier's Tale (Stravinsky) 29 Willowbee (vocal)* 30 Willowbee (instrumental)* 31 Kangaroos from Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saens) 32 Sing about Martin! (Weissman) (vocal)* 33 Sing about Martin! (Weissman) (instrumental)* 34 Louis Armstrong Call-and-Response 35 When the Saints Go Marching In* 36 Tititorea 37 Song of the Dragon 38 Toccata, third movement excerpt (Chavez) 39 Serenade for Wind Instruments excerpt (Mozart) 40 I've Got to Be a Rug Cutter (Ellington) 41 Spring excerpt from The Four Seasons (Vivaldi) 42 Ebeneezer Sneezer (Olson) 43 Circus Music from The Red Pony (Copland) 44 Rippling Water excerpt (Vietnam) 45 Barong Dance excerpt (Bali) 46 The Stars and Stripes Forever excerpt (Sousa) 47 John the Rabbit 48 Looby Loo (vocal)* * All selections are from the Making Music series-- permission is granted to use their recordings.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Musical Children: Engaging Children in Musical Experiences by Carolyn Lindeman is the only text that focuses on the teaching of preschool and kindergarten students and the important role music plays in a their educations and lives. Music educators are increasingly recognizing the importance of teaching musical skills as early as the preschool years. This book presents the latest research emphasizing real life applications so that teachers can achieve their goal of creating more musically creative children. The book presents 25 strategies for engaging children who are learning music based on the latest Music Educators National Conference (MENC) standards. It includes reproducible student activity charts, a song selection of 40 notated melodies, a collection of chants, and resource materials for any new teacher to reference. Musical Children is not only an excellent text in any Music Education classroom, but an excellent resource for any preschool or kindergarten teacher. Written by a leading authority on early childhood music education, the text will be used in courses on Elementary Methods and Fundamentals of Music Education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0136043844 (Student ed. : pbk., spiral)
- 9780136043843 (Student ed. : pbk., spiral)
- 0136043860 (Exam copy)
- 9780136043867 (Exam copy)
Browse related items
Start at call number: