Qualitative research methods in education
- edited by Harry Torrance.
- Los Angeles : SAGE, 2010.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Fundamentals of applied research.
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: v.1-
|LB1028 .Q357 2010 V.1||Unknown|
|LB1028 .Q357 2010 V.2||Unknown|
|LB1028 .Q357 2010 V.3||Unknown|
|LB1028 .Q357 2010 V.4||Unknown|
- Torrance, Harry.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- VOLUME ONE: THEORETICAL ORIGINS OF QUALITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS IN EDUCATION Part A: Theoretical Tributaries from Anthropology, Sociology and Social Psychology Thick Description: Towards an interpretive theory of culture - Clifford Geertz Extracts from Symbolic Interactionism: perspective and method - Herbert Blumer Extracts from Collected Papers 1: The problems of social reality - Alfred Schutz Extracts from Studies in Ethnomethodology - Harold Garfinkel Extracts from The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life - Erving Goffman Part B: Case Study, Ethnography and Evaluation Extracts from Boys in White: Student culture in medical school - Howard Becker, Blanche Geer, Everett Hughes and Anselm Strauss Extracts from The Man in the Principal's Office - Harry Wolcott Structuring School Structure - Hugh Mehan Extracts from Social Relations in a Secondary School - David Hargreaves Extracts from 'Problems of Sociological Fieldwork: A review of the methodology of Hightown Grammar' - Colin Lacey Extracts from Beachside Comprehensive - Stephen Ball The Countenance of Educational Evaluation - Robert Stake Evaluation and the Control of Education - Barry MacDonald The Conduct of Educational Case Study: Ethics, theory and procedures - Rob Walker The Study Method in Social Inquiry - Robert Stake The Imagination of the Case and the Invention of the Study - Stephen Kemmis Evaluation as Illumination: A new approach to the study of innovatory programmes - Malcolm Parlett and David Hamilton The Teacher as Researcher - Lawrence Stenhouse Extracts from Fourth Generation Evaluation - Egon Guba and Yvonna Lincoln The Deliberative Democratic View - Ernest House and Kenneth Howe Qualitative Research Traditions: A review - Evelyn Jacob Qualitative Research Traditions: A British response to Jacob - Paul Atkinson, Sara Delamont and Martyn Hammersley Critical Ethnography in Education: Origins, current status and new directions - Gary Anderson VOLUME TWO: LANGUAGE, PHILOSOPHY AND POLITICS - ADDITIONAL THEORETICAL TRIBUTARIES AND METHODOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS IN QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN EDUCATION Part A: Other Contributory Social Scientific Traditions Extracts from Class, Codes and Control - Basil Bernstein Extracts from 'The Forms of Capital' - Pierre Bourdieu Extracts from 'An Approach to the Study of Curricula as Socially Organised Knowledge' - Michael Young Feminisms and Education - Gaby Weiner Extracts from Common Knowledge: The development of understanding in the classroom - Derek Edwards and Neil Mercer Text and Discourse in Education: An introduction to critical discourse analysis - Allan Luke Thinking and Learning in Social Context - Barbara Rogoff Extracts from Situated Learning: Legitimate peripheral participation - Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger Extracts from Discourse and Cognition - Derek Edwards Beyond Developmentalism - Valerie Walkerdine Part B: Developing the Political, Ethical, Epistemological and Emancipatory Implications of Qualitative Approaches Extracts from Action Research for Educational Change - John Elliott Research as Praxis - Patti Lather Post-Structural Feminism in Education: An overview - Elizabeth Adams St.Pierre The Problem of Speaking for Others - Linda Alcoff Transformative Approaches to Student Voice: Theoretical underpinnings, recalcitrant realities - Michael Fielding Silence Speaks: Whiteness revealed in the absence of voice - Lisa Mazzei Disability Research and the 'Researcher Template': Reflections on grounded subjectivity in ethnographic research - Dan Goodley Gazing with Intent: Ethnographic practice in classrooms - Tuula Gordon et al What's Race Got to Do with It? Critical Race Theory's conflicts with and connections to qualitative research methodology and epistemology - Laurence Parker and Marvin Lynn Writing the 'Wrongs' of Fieldwork: Confronting our own research writing dilemmas in urban ethnographies - Michelle Fine and Lois Weis On Tricky Ground: Researching the native in the age of uncertainty - Linda Tuhiwai Smith Rhizovocality - Alecia Youngblood Jackson Extracts from Performance Ethnography: Critical pedagogy and the politics of culture - Norman Denzin The Bone in the Throat: Some uncertain thoughts on baroque method - Maggie MacLure VOLUME THREE: KEY SUBSTANTIVE FIELDS AND TOPICS OF INQUIRY IN QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN EDUCATION Part A: Social Scientific Topics and Issues Extracts from Life in Classrooms - Philip Jackson A Model of Classroom Coping Strategies - Andrew Pollard Coping at School through Humour - Peter Woods Extracts from Learning to Labour: How working class kids get working class jobs - Paul Willis Deadlier than the Male? Girls' conformity and deviance in school - Lewes Davies Cherokee School Society and the Intercultural Classroom - Robert Dumont and Murray Wax Empowerment and Cultural Conflict: Navajo parents and the schooling of their children - Donna Deyhle The Silenced Dialogue: Power and pedagogy in educating other people's children - Lisa Delpit Beyond the White Norm: The use of qualitative methods in the study of black youth's schooling in England - Mairtin Mac an Ghaill Flexible Identities: Exploring race and gender issues among a group of immigrant pupils in an inner-city comprehensive school - Naz Rassool Who is 'Us'? Students negotiating discourses of racism and national indentification in Australia - Julie McLeod and Lyn Yates I Don't Need This: Acts of transgression by students with special educational needs - Julie Allan Sex-Gender-Sexuality: How sex, gender and sexuality constellations are constituted in secondary school - Deborah Youdell Becoming Schoolgirls: The ambivalent project of subjectification - Bronwyn Davies et al The Question of Belief: Writing post-structural ethnography - Deborah Britzman Part B: Investigating Education Policy and Practice Extracts from The Man in the Principal's Office - Harry Wolcott The Reconstruction of Primary Teachers' Identities - Peter Woods and Bob Jeffrey Good School/Bad School: Paradox and fabrication - Stephen Ball "I'll be a Nothing": Structure, agency and the construction of identity through assessment - Diane Reay and Dylan Wiliam Extracts from High Stakes Education - Pauline Lipman Investigating Formative Classroom Assessment - Harry Torrance and John Pryor Education Change over Time? The sustainability and nonsustainability of three decades of secondary school change and continuity - Andy Hargreaves and Ivor Goodson VOLUME FOUR: CONTEMPORARY METHODS, ISSUES AND DEBATES IN QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN EDUCATION - ETHICS, SCIENCE, POLICY AND POLITICS Extracts from Action Research: A methodology for change and development - Bridget Somekh Representing Teachers - Ivor Goodson Storying Schools: Issues around attempts to create a sense of feel and place in narrative research writing - Pat Sikes Visual Methods and the Visual Culture of Schools - Jon Prosser Multimodal Ethnography - Bella Dicks et al Ethnography and Data Re-use: Issues of context and hypertext - Bella Dicks et al Multiple Methods in Qualitative Research with Children: More insight or just more? - Philip Darbyshire, Colin MacDougal and Wendy Schiller Developing an Emancipatory Research Agenda: Possibilities and dilemmas - Len Barton Ethics, Institutional Review Boards and the Changing Face of Educational Research - Kenneth Howe and Katharine Dougherty Qualitative Research and Institutional Review Boards - Yvonna Lincoln and William Tierney Ethics and Ethnography - Paul Atkinson Research Ethical Guidelines and Anonymity - Geoffrey Walford Rethinking Ethics Review as Institutional Discourse - Christine Halse and Anne Honey 'Caught in the Act': Ethics committee review and researching the sexual culture of schools - Louisa Allen 'Reading' the Nursery Classroom: A Foucauldian perspective - Liz Jones and Tony Brown Deterritorializations: Putting postmodernism to work on teacher education and inclusion - Julie Allan Beyond 'Emotional Literacy' in Feminist and Educational Research - Erica Burman Scientific Culture and Educational Research - Michael Feuer, Lisa Towne and Richard Shavelson Culture, Rigor and Science in Educational Research - Frederick Erickson and Kris Gutierrez This IS your Father's Paradigm: Government intrusion and the case of qualitative research in education - Patti Lather The Issue of Quality in Qualitative Research - Martyn Hammersley Systematic Research Synthesis to Inform Policy, Practice and Democratic Debate - David Gough and Diana Elbourne 'Clarity Bordering on Stupidity': Where's the quality in systematic review? - Maggie MacLure Synthesis Through Meta-Ethnography: Paradoxes, enhancements and possibilities - Lynn Doyle How Can Systematic Reviews Incorporate Qualitative Research? A critical perspective - Mary Dixon-Woods et al Building Confidence in Qualitative Research: Engaging the demands of policy - Harry Torrance.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This four-volume set is part of the "Fundamentals of Applied Research" series and sits alongside Stephen Gorard's major reference collection "Quantitative Research Methods in Education". It brings together seminal and cutting edge articles on qualitative research internationally, and shows how the field has developed in influence in recent years. The use of qualitative research methods in educational research has a long and distinguished history, both in the UK and internationally. Importantly, this major reference collection reviews the ongoing debates and various issues about qualitative methods and the contribution they make to understanding educational issues. The set also comprises a timely analysis of the contribution which qualitative methods have made and can continue to make to understanding educational issues. The volumes review the methodological arguments for using qualitative methods, including critiques and rejoinders; place these arguments in appropriate historical and epistemological contexts with respect to the development of qualitative methods in congruent disciplines including anthropology, psychology and sociology; and identify key examples of leading substantive work which illustrate the various issues at stake and the major achievements of qualitative inquiry in education. Each volume includes an original introduction written by the Harry Torrance, a key figure in the field of education research methods, delineating the theme for the volume and the importance of the contribution of the individual papers and the volume as a whole.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Fundamentals of applied research
- 9781848602076 (hbk. : set)
- 1848602073 (hbk. : set)
Browse related items
Start at call number: