Navigating cultural competence in grades 6-12 : a compass for teachers
- Gallavan, Nancy P.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 161 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LC1099.3 .G35 2011
- Unknown LC1099.3 .G35 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 154-155) and index.
- Foreword by Francisco Rios Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction 1. Explore Cultural Competence 2. Begin Your Transformation 3. N: Notice Culture and Cultural Characteristics 4. NE: Negotiate and Evaluate Curriculum and Content 5. E: Establish Community and Context 6. SE: Seek and Engage in Collaboration and Construction 7. S: Spark Conversation and Climate and SW: Strengthen and Weave Together Complexities and Controversies 8. W: Waken Compassion and Commitment and NW: Nurture and Welcome Challenges and Changes Resource A. Gallavan Cultural Competence Compass Resource B. Review Checklist Resource C. Websites References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Culturally competent teachers know and understand each of their students. Culturally competent schools are ones where students feel welcomed and engaged. To become culturally competent, teachers and other school professionals must treat every student with fairness. This book for secondary teachers and administrators presents an 8-point model of cultural competence which, if followed, will ensure that all individuals in the school are both respected and protected. The 8 points correspond to the directions on a compass and are as follows: N - Notice culture and cultural characteristics; NE - Negotiate and evaluate curriculum and content; E - Establish community and context; SE - Seek and engage; S: Spark conversations and climate; SW: Strengthen and weave together complexities and controversies; W: Waken compassion and commitment; and, NW: Nurture and welcome challenges and changes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nancy P. Gallavan ; foreword by Francisco Rios.
- 9781412978484 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412978483 (pbk. : alk. paper)