Seven steps to separating difference from disability
- Collier, Catherine.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 160 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LC3731 .C618 2011
- Unknown LC3731 .C618 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 149-155) and index.
- Acknowledgments Introduction 1. Building and Sustaining a Foundation for Learning Our Diverse Students Enculturation and the CLD Student Enculturation Jose Case Study 2. Establishing and Supporting Resiliency Cognition and Language A Brief Review of Language Acquisition Issues Cognitive Learning Style Jose Case Study 3. Instructional Intervention and Differentiated Instruction Culture and Language Cognitive Learning Style Experience Sociolinguistic Development Acculturation Jose Case Study 4. Intensive Intervention and Progress Monitoring Asking the Right Questions How to Use the Information Jose Case Study 5. Resolution or Referral Testing Adaptation of Assessments Jose Case Study 6. Integrated Services Bias in Service Plans Emotional and Behavioral Disorders Intellectual Exceptionalities Learning Disabilities Integrating Special Needs and CLD Needs Jose Case Study 7. Maintaining and Sustaining CLDE Programs Service Options Teacher Preparation Specific Skills and Competencies for Teachers Jose Case Study Conclusion Glossary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Students' cultural and linguistic differences are often mistaken for learning and/or behavioural disabilities. On the other hand, these cultural and linguistic differences may actually mask a student's disability. Despite significant advances in the understanding of effective teaching practices for culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) students, including limited English proficient (LEP) and English language learners (ELL), the transfer of research to practice remains elusive. In "Seven Steps to Separating Difference From Disability", Catherine Collier introduces the PRISIM process (the Pyramid of Resiliency, Instruction, Strategies Intervention, and Monitoring) for use within an RTI framework. PRISIM's seven steps ensure that diverse students with special needs are not disproportionately identified for special services and that all students with special needs have those needs met in the most appropriate manner. This book contains: A 7-step process for separating difference from disability within an RTI framework; resource materials for implementing the process; reproducible forms; recommended reading materials; case studies; self-study assessment worksheet; and glossary.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Catherine Collier.
- Title Variation
- Separating difference from disability
- 9781412971607 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412971608 (pbk. : alk. paper)