The liberal arts tradition : a documentary history
- [collected and edited by] Bruce A. Kimball.
- Lanham, Md. : University Press of America, c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 511 p. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC1011 .L457 2010
- Unknown LC1011 .L457 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1 Preface Chapter 2 Introduction: The Disputed Origins Chapter 3 Section I: Debates in Antiquity Chapter 4 Section II: Late Antiquity and Middle Ages: Christian Appropriation, Codification, and Female Imagery Chapter 5 Section III: In the modernus University, 1100s -1500 Chapter 6 Section IV: The Humanist and Collegiate Traditions Chapter 7 Section V: Humanist, Scholastic, and Sectarian Strains in the Colonial College Chapter 8 Section VI: Intellectual and Social Challenges to the College, 1790s-1850s Chapter 9 Section VII: Struggle between the University and the College, 1860s-1900s Chapter 10 Section VIII: Experimentation and Search for Coherence, 1910s-1930s Chapter 11 Section IX: The "Emerging Curricular Blueprint" of the Mid-Twentieth Century Chapter 12 Section X: Approaching the Past in the New Millennium Chapter 13 Glossary of Names Chapter 14 Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Ranging from Plato in antiquity to Martha Nussbaum in the present era, the authors of the seventy readings included in The Liberal Arts Tradition present significant and exemplary views addressing liberal arts education over the course of its history, particularly in the United States. Most of the documents are newly translated or no longer available in print. Arranged chronologically, each selection is accompanied by an informative introduction and extensive explanatory notes discussing its place within the liberal arts tradition. Based upon the author's twenty-five years of experience leading seminars concerning the history of liberal education, this collection presents a uniquely comprehensive and salient set of documents, while incorporating the neglected portrayal and discussion of women within the history of the liberal arts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "Published in cooperation with the Association for Core Texts and Courses."
- 9780761851325 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 0761851321 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 9780761851332 (ebk.)
- 076185133X (ebk.)