Tissue engineering and artificial organs [electronic resource]
- Boca Raton : CRC/Taylor & Francis, 2006.
- Physical description
- 1304 p.
- Bronzino, Joseph D., 1937-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY-- Michael Domach Historical Perspective and Basics of Molecular Biology-- Nathan R. Domagalski and Michael Domach Systems and Technology Involving Bacteria-- Nicole Bleckwenn and William Bentley Recombinant DNA Technology Using Mammalian Cells-- Tina Sauerwald and Michael Betenbaugh TRANSPORT PHENOMENA AND BIOMIMETIC SYSTEMS-- Robert J. Fisher Biomimetic Systems-- Robert J. Fisher Diffusional Processes and Engineering Design-- E.N. Lightfoot Microvascular Heat Transfer-- James W. Baish Perfusion Effects and Hydrodynamics-- Robert A. Peattie and Robert J. Fisher Animal Surrogate Systems-- Michael L. Shuler, Sarina G. Harris, and Xinran Li Arterial Wall Mass Transport: The Possible Role of Blood Phase Resistance in the Localization of Arterial Disease-- John M. Tarbell and Yuchen Qui Control of the Microenvironment-- Robert J. Fisher and Robert A. Peattie Interstitial Transport in the Brain: Principles for Local Drug Delivery-- W. Mark Saltzman BIOTECHNOLOGY-- Martin L. Yarmush and Mehmet Toner Tools for Genome Analysis-- Robert Kaiser Vaccine Production-- John G. Aunins, Ann L. Lee, David and B. Volkin Protein Engineering-- Scott Banta Metabolic Engineering-- Scott Banta and Craig Zupke Monoclonal Antibodies and Their Engineered Fragments-- Zaki Megeed, David M. Yarmush, Martin L. Yarmush, and Srikanth Sundaram Biomolecular Engineering in Oligonucleotide Applications-- S. Patrick Walton Gene Therapy-- Cindy Jung and Joseph M. Le Doux Bio-Nanorobotics: State of the Art and Future Challenges-- Ajay Ummat, Gaurav Sharma, C. Mavroidis, and A. Dubey BIONANOTECHNOLOGY-- David E. Reisner DNA as a Scaffold for Nano-Structure Assembly-- Michael Connolly Directed Evolution of Proteins for Device Applications-- Jeremy F. Koscielecki, Jason R. Hillebrecht, and Robert R. Birge Semiconductor Quantum Dots for Molecular and Cellular Imaging-- Andrew Michael Smith and Shuming Nie Bionanotechnology for Bioanalysis-- Lin Wang and Weihong Tan Nano-Hydroxyapatite for Biomedical Applications-- Zongtao Zhang, Yunzhi Yang, and Joo L. Ong Nanotechnology Provides New Tools for Biomedical Optics-- Jennifer L. West, Rebekah A. Drezek, and Naomi J. Halas Nanomaterials Perspectives and Possibilities in Nanomedicine-- Kimberly L. Douglas, Shawn D. Carrigan, and Maryam Tabrizian Biomedical Nanoengineering for Nanomedicine-- Jie Han Physiogenomics: Integrating Systems Engineering and Nanotechnology for Personalized Medicine-- Gualberto Ruano, Andreas Windemuth, and Theodore R. Holford Bionanotechnology Patenting: Challenges and Opportunities-- Raj Bawa, S.R. Bawa, Stephen B. Maebius, and Chid Iyer TISSUE ENGINEERING-- John P. Fisher and Antonios G. Mikos Fundamentals of Stem Cell Tissue Engineering-- Arnold I. Caplan Growth Factors and Morphogens: Signals for Tissue Engineering-- A. Hari Reddi Extracellular Matrix: Structure, Function, and Applications to Tissue Engineering-- Mary C. Farach-Carson, Roger C. Wagner, and Kristi L. Kiick Mechanical Forces on Cells-- Yan-Ting Shiu Cell Adhesion-- Aaron S. Goldstein Cell Migration-- Gang Cheng and Kyriacos Zygourakis Inflammatory and Immune Responses to Tissue Engineered Devices-- James M. Anderson Polymeric Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Applications-- Diana M. Yoon and John P. Fisher Calcium Phosphate Ceramics for Bone Tissue Engineering-- P. Quinten Ruhe, Joop G.C. Wolke, Paul H.M. Spauwen, and John A. Jansen Biomimetic Materials-- Andres J. Garcia Nanocomposite Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering-- Amit S. Mistry, Xinfeng Shi, and Antonios G. Mikos Roles of Thermodynamic State and Molecular Mobility in Biopreservation-- Alptekin Aksan and Mehmet Toner Drug Delivery-- C. Becker and A. Gopferich Gene Therapy-- J.M. Munson and W.T. Godbey Tissue Engineering Bioreactors-- Jose F. Alvarez-Barreto and Vassilios I. Sikavitsas Animal Models for Evaluation of Tissue-Engineered Orthopedic Implants-- Lichun Lu, Esmaiel Jabbari, Michael J. Moore, and Michael J. Yaszemski The Regulation of Engineered Tissues: Emerging Approaches-- Kiki B. Hellman and David Smith Bioengineering of Human Skin Substitutes-- Dorothy M. Supp and Steven T. Boyce Nerve Regeneration: Tissue Engineering Strategies-- Jennifer B. Recknor and Surya K. Mallapragada Gene Therapy and Tissue Engineering Based on Muscle-Derived Stem Cells: Potential for Musculoskeletal Tissue Regeneration and Repair-- Johnny Huard, Baohong Cao, Yong Li, and Hairong Peng Tissue Engineering Applications - Bone-- Ayse B. Celil, Scott Guelcher, Jeffrey O. Hollinger, and Michael Miller Cartilage Tissue Engineering-- Fan Yang and Jennifer H. Elisseeff Tissue Engineering of the Temporomandibular Joint-- Mark E.K. Wong, Kyle D. Allen, and Kyriacos A. Athanasiou Engineering Smooth Muscle-- Yu Ching Yung and David J. Mooney Esophagus: A Tissue Engineering Challenge-- B.D. Ratner, B.L. Beckstead, K.S. Chian, and A.C. Ritchie Tissue Engineered Vascular Grafts-- Rachael H. Schmedlen, Wafa M. Elbjeirami, Andrea S. Gobin, and Jennifer L. West Cardiac Tissue Engineering: Matching Native Architecture and Function to Develop Safe and Efficient Therapy-- Nenad Bursac Tissue Engineering of Heart Valves-- K. Jane Grande-Allen Tissue Engineering: Use of Stem Cells and Cloning in the Regeneration of Urologic Organs-- J. Daniell Rackley and Anthony Atala Hepatic Tissue Engineering for Adjunct and Temporary Liver Support-- Francois Berthiaume, Arno W. Tilles, Mehmet Toner, Martin L. Yarmush, and Christina Chan Tissue Engineering of Renal Replacement Therapy-- William H. Fissell and H. David Humes The Bioengineering of Dental Tissues-- Rena N. D'Souza and Songtao Shi Tracheal Tissue Engineering-- Brian Dunham, Paul Flint, Sunil Singhal, Catherine Le Visage, and Kam Leong PROSTHESES AND ARTIFICIAL ORGANS-- Pierre M. Galletti and Robert M. Nerem Artificial Heart and Circulatory Assist Devices-- Gerson Rosenberg Cardiac Valve Prostheses-- Gerson Rosenberg Vascular Grafts-- David N. Ku and Robert C. Allen Artificial Lungs and Blood-Gas Exchange Devices-- Pierre M. Galletti and K. Clark Artificial Kidney-- C. Mavroidis Peritoneal Dialysis Equipment-- Michael J. Lysaght and John Moran Therapeutic Apheresis and Blood Fractionation-- Andrew L. Zydney Liver Support Systems-- Pierre M. Galletti and Hugo O. Jauregui Artificial Pancreas-- Pierre M. Galletti, Clark K. Colton, Michel Jaffrin, and Genard Reach Nerve Guidance Channels-- Robert F. Valentini Tracheal, Laryngeal, and Esophageal Replacement Devices-- Tatsuo Nakamura and Yasuhiko Shimizu Artificial Blood-- Marcos Intaglietta and Robert M. Winslow Artificial Skin and Dermal Equivalents-- Ioaniss V. Yannas ETHICS-- David E. Reisner Beneficence, Nonmaleficence, and Medical Technology-- Joseph D. Bronzino Ethical Issues Related to Clinical Research-- Joseph D. Bronzino INDEX.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Over the last century, medicine has come out of the 'black bag' and emerged as one of the most dynamic and advanced fields of development in science and technology. Today, biomedical engineering plays a critical role in patient diagnosis, care, and rehabilitation. As such, the field encompasses a wide range of disciplines, from biology and physiology to material science and nanotechnology. Reflecting the enormous growth and change in biomedical engineering during the infancy of the 21st century, "The Biomedical Engineering Handbook" enters its third edition as a set of three carefully focused and conveniently organized books.Reviewing applications at the leading edge of modern biomedical engineering, "Tissue Engineering and Artificial Organs" explores transport phenomena, biomimetics systems, biotechnology, prostheses, artificial organs, and ethical issues. This book features approximately 90 per cent new material in the tissue engineering section, integrates coverage of life sciences with a new section on molecular biology, and includes a new section on bionanotechnology. Prominent leaders from around the world share their expertise in their respective fields with many new and updated chapters. New technologies and methods spawned by biomedical engineering have the potential to improve the quality of life for everyone, and "Tissue Engineering and Artificial Organs" sheds light on the tools that will enable these advances.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Joseph D. Bronzino.
- Electrical engineering handbook series
- Also available in print edition. CRC Press (http://www.crcpress.com)
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- 9781420003871 (e-book : PDF)
- 1420003879 (electronic bk.)
- 0849321247 (set)