America's energy future : technology and transformation
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 711 p. : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.); 26 cm.
- America's energy future series.
TJ163.25 .U6 A464 2009
- Unknown TJ163.25 .U6 A464 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Context and challenges
- Key findings
- Key results from technology assessments
- Energy efficiency
- Alternative transportation fuels
- Renewable energy
- Fossil-fuel energy
- Nuclear energy
- Electricity transmission and distribution
- Publisher's Summary
- For multi-user PDF licensing, please contact customer service. Energy touches our lives in countless ways and its costs are felt when we fill up at the gas pump, pay our home heating bills, and keep businesses both large and small running. There are long-term costs as well: to the environment, as natural resources are depleted and pollution contributes to global climate change, and to national security and independence, as many of the world's current energy sources are increasingly concentrated in geopolitically unstable regions. The country's challenge is to develop an energy portfolio that addresses these concerns while still providing sufficient, affordable energy reserves for the nation. The United States has enormous resources to put behind solutions to this energy challenge; the dilemma is to identify which solutions are the right ones. Before deciding which energy technologies to develop, and on what timeline, we need to understand them better. America's Energy Future analyzes the potential of a wide range of technologies for generation, distribution, and conservation of energy. This book considers technologies to increase energy efficiency, coal-fired power generation, nuclear power, renewable energy, oil and natural gas, and alternative transportation fuels. It offers a detailed assessment of the associated impacts and projected costs of implementing each technology and categorizes them into three time frames for implementation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Committee on America's Energy Future, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, National Research Council of the National Academies.
- America's energy future series
- 9780309116022 (pbk.)
- 0309116023 (pbk.)
- 9780309116039 (PDF)
- 0309116031 (PDF)