Race-class relations and integration in secondary education : the case of Miller High
- Caroline Eick.
- 1st ed.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- xviii, 225 p. ; 22 cm.
- Secondary education in a changing world.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC208.4 .E35 2010||Unknown|
- Eick, Caroline, 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -220) and index.
- PART I: THE DIVIDED GENERATION (1950-1969) Memories of Class, Race, and Gender Divides: Immediate Pre and Post Desegregation Years Cautiously Negotiating Social Divides: A Conservative Student Body PART II: THE BORDER-CROSSING GENERATION (1970-1985) Memories of Interracial Peer-Group Affiliations: Integration Years Bridging Social Divides through Peer-Groups: A Socially Tolerant but Politically Inactive Student Body PART III: THE RE-DIVIDED GENERATION (1986-2000) Memories of Segregation by Class, Race, Nationality, and Religion: Destabilizing Years of Shifting Demographics Self-Segregating in Opposition To: A Student Body Sensitized to Discrimination Conclusion Methodology: The Transparent Historian.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230107083 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This history traces evolving cross-group relationships in a comprehensive high school located in a town that shifted from a rural, predominantly white middle-class population to a more urban, multiracial population between 1950 and 2000. Oral historical, archival, and demographic research revealed the ways in which institutional norms, shifting demographics, and students' diverse backgrounds intersected to shape peer relationships across racial, gender, and class divides.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230107083 20160605
- High school students > Maryland > Baltimore County > Social conditions > Case studies.
- Students with social disabilities > Maryland > Baltimore County > Case studies.
- Education, Secondary > Social aspects > Maryland > Baltimore County > Case studies.
- School integration > Maryland > Baltimore County > History > 20th century.
- Baltimore County (Md.) > Race relations > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- Secondary education in a changing world
- 9780230107083 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0230107087 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: