Battling boredom : 99 strategies to spark student engagement
- Harris, Bryan.
- Larchmont, NY : Eye on Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xviii, 133 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LB1065 .H297 2011
- Unknown LB1065 .H297 2011
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgements About the Author Introduction Part 1. Strategies to Begin a Lesson Agree/Disagree Statements Alphabet Summary Audio/Video Clips Fantastic Facts Found It! Personal Goals Quick Draw More... Part 2. Strategies to End a Lesson Absent Student Circle, Triangle, Square Journal Response Keepers and Wishers Letter to Self Outcome Statements Pass It More... Part 3. Strategies for Solo/Independent Work Content Nameplate Checklists Coded Reading Color Code Concept Collage Create the Test Flash Cards 2.0 More... Part 4. Strategies for the Whole Group Choral Response Common Songs Fish Bowl Forced Analogies Guess the Word I Learned Chain Individual Student Whiteboards More... Part 5. Strategies for Partners and Small Groups Add On Card Sort Envelope Questions Halftime Summary Partner Pretest Q and A Match Quiz Show More... Part 6. Strategies for Student Movement Ball Toss Change of Perspective Consultation Corners Create-A-Skit Dueling Flip Charts Gallery Walk More... Part 7. Bonus Strategies for Reluctant Learners A Head Start Big Word Alert Closed Fist Extend An Invitation Looks Like, Sounds Like, Feels Like The 5-Minute Focus Group The Miracle Question More... Resources Suggested Readings.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Drive boredom out of your classroom - and keep it out - with the student-engagement strategies in this book. You'll learn how to gain and sustain the attention of your students from the moment the bell rings. Perfect for teachers of all subjects and grade levels, these activities go head-to-head with student boredom and disengagement, resulting in class time that's more efficient, more educational, and loads more fun! Contents include: Strategies to Begin a Lesson Strategies to End a Lesson Strategies for Solo/Independent Work Strategies for the Whole Group Author Bryan Harris, an expert in student engagement and classroom management, has extensive experience in K-12 motivation and brain-based learning. In this book, he brings together 99 simple, ready-to-use ideas for teachers looking to overcome student boredom and illuminate classroom lessons in a dynamic, interactive way. Bonus strategies show you how to engage even the most reluctant learners.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Bryan Harris.
- 9781596671669 (pbk.)
- 1596671661 (pbk.)