Leading standards-based education reform : improving implementation of standards to increase student achievement
- Linda R. Vogel.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2010.
- Physical description
- v, 153 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB3060.83 .V65 2010
- Unknown LB3060.83 .V65 2010
- Vogel, Linda R.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 145-151).
- Chapter 1 Preface Chapter 2 I. Standards, Accountability, and Leadership Chapter 3 II. The Communities and Contexts of Change Chapter 4 III. Stage One: Initial Alignment-the Beginning of the Journey Chapter 5 IV. Stage Two: Transitional Data-Digging Deeper with Data Chapter 6 V. Stage Three: Transitional Assessment Chapter 7 VI. Stage Four: Standards-led Education Chapter 8 VII. Implications for Change.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Standards-based education (SBE) has been the dominant educational reform movement since the early 1980s, reinforced by federal and state accountability systems. This book examines the efforts of educational leaders in implementing SBE to improve student achievement in a variety of demographic contexts but with common challenges. Four stages of SBE implementation are identified that focus on strong district leadership of the articulation of how SBE can benefit students, an investment in collaborative structures and teacher training, and the facilitation of dialogue among all educational stakeholders. The descriptions of leadership actions and educator development at each stage can serve as a guide for educators and policy makers to assess which stage schools and districts are in and what steps can be taken to effectively move SBE reform efforts forward. The reflective questions for district, school, and teacher leaders at each stage can facilitate the dialogues that can ensure that SBE reform supports changes in classroom instruction that improve the learning opportunities and educational outcomes of all students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607099819 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1607099810 (harback : alk. paper)
- 9781607099826 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 1607099829 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 9781607099833 (e-book)
- 1607099837 (e-book)