How we think : a theory of goal-oriented decision making and its educational applications
- Alan H. Schoenfeld.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 245 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1060 .S355 2011||Unknown|
- Schoenfeld, Alan H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -240) and index.
- Introduction and Acknowledgments 1. The Big Picture 2. Reflections, Caveats, Doubts, and Rationalizations 3. The Structure of the Representations Used in this Book 4. Lesson Analysis I: A beginning teacher carrying out a traditional lesson 5. Lesson Analysis II: An experienced teacher carrying out a non-traditional lesson 6. Lesson Analysis III: Third graders! A non-traditional lesson with an emergent agenda 7. Lesson Analysis IV: The analysis of a doctor-patient Consultation - an act of joint problem solving 8. Next Steps Indices, etc.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415878647 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Teachers try to help their students learn. But why do they make the particular teaching choices they do? What resources do they draw upon? What accounts for the success or failure of their efforts? In How We Think, esteemed scholar and mathematician, Alan H. Schoenfeld, proposes a groundbreaking theory and model for how we think and act in the classroom and beyond. Based on thirty years of research on problem solving and teaching, Schoenfeld provides compelling evidence for a concrete approach that describes how teachers, and individuals more generally, navigate their way through in-the-moment decision-making in well-practiced domains. Applying his theoretical model to detailed representations and analyses of teachers at work as well as of professionals outside education, Schoenfeld argues that understanding and recognizing the goal-oriented patterns of our day to day decisions can help identify what makes effective or ineffective behavior in the classroom and beyond.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415878647 20160604
- Publication date
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning
- 9780415878654 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 0415878659 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 9780415878647 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415878640 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203843000 (ebook)
- 0203843002 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: