The effective teacher's guide : 50 ways to engage students and promote interactive learning
LB1025.3 .F75 2011
- Unknown LB1025.3 .F75 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I: Five Rules for Engagement and Interaction. Organize Your Instruction through Gradual Release of Responsibility. Active Engagement Is Multileveled: Group-Partner-Individual. Instruction Is Interactive: Say-Write-Do. . Students Help Each Other: Tell-Help-Check. Students Learn from Each Other: Think-Pair-Share. Part II. Engaging Students through Classroom Procedures. Creating a Classroom Management Plan. Creating and Teaching Classroom Rules. Responding to Problem Behaviors. Deescalating Problem Behaviors with Voluntary Removal. Crumple Doll. Responding to Bullying. Fostering Problem Solving among Students. Room Arrangement. Taking Attendance. What to Do When a Student Returns from an Absence. Part III: Engaging Students through Organization. Posting a Daily Schedule. Signaling the Class. Monitoring Noise Level. Teaching Students to Manage Their Time. Distributing and Collecting Materials. Calling on Students. Organizing Materials. Assignment Headings. Teaching Students How to Request Help. Managing the Technology in Your Classroom. Establishing and Maintaining a Course Website. Part IV: Engaging Students through Peer Partners. Establishing Peer Partners. Peer Partners Role 1: Response Partners. Peer Partners Role 2: Reading Partners. Peer Partners Role 3: On-Task Partners. Peer Partners Role 4: Assignment Partners. Peer Partners Role 5: Collaborative Partners. Grouping Students Efficiently. Part V. Engaging Students for Learning. Interest Surveys. Bellwork. RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic). Community Surveys. Human Graphs. Establishing Purpose. Vocabulary Routines. Whip Around. Response Cards. Walking Review. Jigsaws. Self-Corrected Spelling. Power Writing to Build Fluency. Part VI. Engaging Students through Reading. Choral Reading Cloze Reading. Read-Around. Rapid Retrieval of Information.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This popular guide offers a wealth of innovative, research-based strategies for making K-12 classrooms the best learning environments they can be. Easy-to-implement best practices are presented for establishing a classroom management plan, organizing procedures and materials, building a respectful community, fostering peer collaboration, and engaging students in interactive learning. Each of the 50 strategies includes step-by-step instructions, the amount of time needed to implement, and the recommended grade level. In a large-size format for easy photocopying, the book features ready-to-use reproducibles. New to This Edition: now in a large, easy-to-reproduce format strategies for using technology to promote interactive learning explains a gradual release-of-responsibility model of instruction to support self-motivated learning additional topics: vocabulary development, enhancing writing skills, and building peer partnerships updated and expanded research base.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nancy Frey.
- Teaching practices that work
- 9781606239711 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1606239716 (pbk. : alk. paper)