Understanding education indicators : a practical primer for research and policy
- Mike Planty, Deven Carlson.
- New York : Teachers College, Columbia University, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 147 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2846 .P55 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 131-139) and index.
- An overview of indicators. What is an indicator?
- Types of indicators
- Purposes of indicators
- History of education indicators
- Qualities of a good indicator
- A framework for understanding indicator quality
- Limitations and distortions
- Organization of the book
- Measurement. Origins of indicators
- Moving from origination to conceptualization to observation
- Considerations of reliability and validity
- Sources of information and error. Why does error exist?
- Populations versus samples
- Weighting samples
- Nonsampling error
- Analysis and dissemination errors
- Statistics and data presentation. Statistical concepts and measures
- Statistical testing and statistical significance
- Other considerations for evaluating indicator quality
- The misuse of statistical indicators. Manipulation of indicators
- Using indicators to advance an interest
- So what can be done?
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides a comprehensive approach for understanding how statistical measures of achievement are developed, evaluated, and interpreted. Given the extent to which accountability measures determine outcomes for schools and students, this practical.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807751206 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780807751206 (pbk.)
- 0807751200 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: