Leaving Johnny behind : overcoming barriers to literacy and reclaiming at-risk readers
- Anthony Pedriana ; foreword by G. Reid Lyon.
- 2nd ed.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxv, 175 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1139.5 .R43 P43 2010
- Unknown LB1139.5 .R43 P43 2010
- Pedriana, Anthony.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 159-165) and index.
- Chapter 1 Foreword Chapter 2 Message from the Author Chapter 3 Prologue Chapter 4 A Failure to Communicate Chapter 5 Gayle Force Chapter 6 Soporific Effluvium Chapter 7 Preponderance of the Evidence Chapter 8 The Weak Arm of the Law Chapter 9 So Shall We Reap Chapter 10 The Unkindest Cut of All Chapter 11 The Three Rs: Reform, Reform, Reform Chapter 12 Teaching to Mastery Chapter 13 Through Johnny's Eyes Chapter 14 Rescuing Johnny Chapter 15 Epilogue.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In the tradition of Why Johnny Can't Read written by Rudolph Flesch in the 1950s, Leaving Johnny Behind provides a comprehensive examination of the barriers that deny children adequate literacy training. This book describes the obstacles faced by a school principal from Milwaukee's central city when he attempted to implement research-based reading practices. Upon further examination, he discovered that the reading establishment generally rejects the product of legitimate science, choosing instead to engage in a never-ending interfusion of the latest innovations, modifications, and gimmicks. This condition, Anthony Pedriana observes, has a disparate impact on poor and minorities, those who suffer from dyslexia and other forms of reading disability, and those for whom English is a second language. But unlike Flesch who stressed the differences between phonics and holistic practices, Pedriana seeks common ground among reading practitioners. He notes that there is plenty in the data for both sides to love and that failing to take advantage of that convergence is to mock our high-minded expressions of "children first.".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607099123 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607099128 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607099130 (paper : alk. paper)
- 1607099136 (paper : alk. paper)
- 9781607099147 (ebook)
- 1607099144 (ebook)