The Wiley-Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development
- edited by Usha Goswami.
- 2nd ed.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 801 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Blackwell handbooks of developmental psychology.
- Goswami, Usha C.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements x List of Contributors xi Introduction 1 Part I Infancy: The Origins of Cognitive Development 5 1 How Do Infants Reason About Physical Events? 11 Renee Baillargeon, Jie Li, Yael Gertner, and Di Wu 2 Social Cognition and the Origins of Imitation, Empathy, and Theory of Mind 49 Andrew N. Meltzoff 3 Kinds of Agents: The Origins of Understanding Instrumental and Communicative Agency 76 Gyorgy Gergely 4 Social Cognition and Social Motivations in Infancy 106 Malinda Carpenter 5 Born to Categorize 129 Paul C. Quinn 6 Early Memory Development 153 Patricia J. Bauer, Marina Larkina, and Joanne Deocampo 7 Early Word-Learning and Conceptual Development: Everything Had a Name, and Each Name Gave Birth to a New Thought 180 Sandra R. Waxman and Erin M. Leddon Part II Cognitive Development in Early Childhood 209 8 Development of the Animate Inanimate Distinction 213 John E. Opfer and Susan A. Gelman 9 Language Development 239 Michael Tomasello 10 Developing a Theory of Mind 258 Henry M. Wellman 11 Pretend Play and Cognitive Development 285 Angeline Lillard, Ashley M. Pinkham, and Eric Smith 12 Early Development of the Understanding and Use of Symbolic Artifacts 312 Judy S. DeLoache Part III Topics in Cognitive Development in Childhood 337 13 Memory Development in Childhood 347 Wolfgang Schneider 14 Causal Reasoning and Explanation 377 Barbara Koslowski and Amy Masnick 15 Inductive and Deductive Reasoning 399 Usha Goswami 16 The Development of Moral Reasoning 420 Larry P. Nucci and Matthew Gingo 17 Spatial Development: Evolving Approaches to Enduring Questions 446 Lynn S. Liben and Adam E. Christensen 18 Children's Intuitive Physics 473 Friedrich Wilkening and Trix Cacchione 19 What is Scientific Thinking and How Does it Develop? 497 Deanna Kuhn 20 Reading Development and Dyslexia 524 Margaret J. Snowling and Silke M. Gobel 21 Children's Understanding of Mathematics 549 Peter Bryant and Terezinha Nunes 22 Executive Function in Typical and Atypical Development 574 Philip David Zelazo and Ulrich Muller 23 Language and Cognition: Evidence from Disordered Language 604 Barbara Dodd and Sharon Crosbie 24 The Empathizing-Systematizing (E-S) Theory of Autism: A Cognitive Developmental Account 626 Simon Baron-Cohen Part IV Theories of Cognitive Development 641 25 Piaget's Theory: Past, Present, and Future 649 Patricia H. Miller 26 Vygotsky and Psychology 673 Harry Daniels 27 Information-Processing Models of Cognitive Development 697 Graeme S. Halford and Glenda Andrews 28 Neuroconstructivism 723 Gert Westermann, Michael S. C. Thomas, and Annette Karmiloff-Smith 29 Individual Differences in Cognitive Development 749 Robert J. Sternberg Index 775.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405191166 20170724
- Publisher's Summary
- This definitive volume is the result of collaboration by top scholars in the field of children's cognition. * New edition offers an up-to-date overview of all the major areas of importance in the field, and includes new data from cognitive neuroscience and new chapters on social cognitive development and language * Provides state-of-the-art summaries of current research by international specialists in different areas of cognitive development * Spans aspects of cognitive development from infancy to the onset of adolescence * Includes chapters on symbolic reasoning, pretend play, spatial development, abnormal cognitive development and current theoretical perspectives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405191166 20170724
- Cognition in children.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Handbook of childhood cognitive development
- Wiley-Blackwell handbooks of developmental psychology
- Rev. ed. of: Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development. 2003.
- Related Work
- Goswami, Usha C. Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development.
- 9781405191166 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1405191163 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: