Leadership as lunacy : and other metaphors for educational leadership
- Jacky Lumby, Fenwick W. English.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 156 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB2806 .L84 2010
- Unknown LB2806 .L84 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 129-146) and index.
- Preface About the Authors 1. The Presence and Power of Metaphors Not Just Words From Gilgamesh to Obama: Metaphors Communicate and Connect How Metaphors Work Why a Book About Metaphors for Educational Leaders? Structure Toward a New Kind of Wisdom 2. Leadership as Machine Running the Factory Leaders Running the Machine Evaluating the Machine On Being a Machine The Machine Metaphor 3. Leadership as Accounting The Relentless Pursuit of Rationality and Waste Educational Hyperrationalization The Cheating Culture: Corrosion of the Means/Ends Accountability Continuum The Accounting Metaphor: A Chimera Wrapped Up as an Ideology 4. Leadership as War Preparing for a Board Meeting The Ambivalence of War Metaphors Military Admonitions, Educational Situations, and Contradictions The Way of the Warrior Is Death: Education Is Life 5. Leadership as Sport Sports: Language and Action The Little ?Closed-System? World of an Athletic Team The Problem of the Charismatic Coach as a Model for the CEO Understanding the Nature of Power The Sports Metaphor: An Impossible Dream 6. Leadership as Theater The School as Stage: What Lies Beneath? The School as Staged: Long Run or Repertory? The School as Staged: Acting Leadership The School as Ritual Performance School as Theater 7. Leadership as Religion The Concept of the External Supreme Being Towards Perfection: The Idea of Progress Manifestations of Religion in Management and Educational Leadership The Presence of ?Managementspeak? and Religious Rituals in School Practices Warring Metaphors The Power of Religious Metaphors: The Universal Versus The Dogmatic and Partisan Experience Learning How to Lead Outside the Command and Control Model 8. Leadership as Lunacy Lunacy as a Form of Toxicity Leaders as Lunatics The Lunatic Psyche Symptoms, Signs and Pathologies The Lunacy Metaphor 9. Metaphors of Leadership The Uses of Metaphors Grand Narratives Positive Metaphors So, Where to Now? References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Leadership as Lunacy: And Other Metaphors for Educational Leadership" is an innovative look at leadership models and behaviours - and what school leaders and stakeholders alike can learn from them. The authors guide readers on a journey of 'intellectual pyrotechnics', drawing you through historical perspectives and cognitive possibilities that inspire, resolve, confuse, and provoke reflection on the state of leadership in education. The authors examine: various interpretations of metaphor and how metaphors have been used to define leadership; the current debate and discourse pertaining to educational leadership models; and, how metaphors can stimulate reflection and inspire self-growth.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Educational leadership.
- Publication date
- 9781412974271 (pbk.)
- 1412974275 (pbk.)