Pictures for use and pleasure : vernacular painting in High Qing China
- James Cahill.
- Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 265 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 27 cm.
- Cahill, James, 1926-2014
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 239-251) and index.
- Recognizing vernacular painting
- Studio artists in cities and court
- Adoptions from the West
- The artists' repertories
- Beautiful women and the courtesan culture
- Appendix. Poem by Zhou Qi
- List of Chinese names and terms.
- Publisher's Summary
- In this groundbreaking book, James Cahill expands the field of Chinese pictorial art history, opening both scholarly studies and popular appreciation to vernacular paintings, 'pictures for use and pleasure'. These were works commissioned and appreciated during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries by the non-elites of Chinese society, including women. Traditional Chinese collectors, like present-day scholars of Chinese painting, have favored the 'literati' paintings of the Chinese male elite, disparaging vernacular works, often intended as decorations or produced to mark a special occasion. Cahill challenges the dominant dogma and doctrine of the literati, showing how the vernacular images, both beautiful and appealing, strengthen our understanding of High Qing culture. They bring to light the Qing or Manchu emperors' fascination with erotic culture in the thriving cities of the Yangtze Delta and demonstrate the growth of figure painting in and around Beijing's imperial court. They also revise our understanding of gender roles and show how Chinese artists made use of European styles. By introducing a large, rich body of works, "Pictures for Use and Pleasure" opens new windows on later Chinese life and society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520258570 20160604
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Vernacular painting in high Qing China
- 9780520258570 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0520258576 (hardback : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: