National pasts in Europe and East Asia
- P.W. Preston.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 358 p. ; 25 cm.
- Routledge studies in the modern history of Asia ; 66.
- Preston, P. W. (Peter Wallace), 1949-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -345) and index.
- 1. National Pasts in Europe and East Asia
- 2. The Scale and Pace of Change Recalled
- 3. Available Lessons: Private Memories and Wider European Agendas
- 4. Europe: General Crisis, Collapse and Recovery
- 5. Uncomfortable Lessons: The European Union and the USA, 1989/91-2008
- 6. Reading the Ongoing Changes: European Identity
- 7. Sweeping Change in East Asia: Political Leaders and the Experience of Violence
- 8. East Asia: General Crisis, Collapse and National Development
- 9. Contested Compromises: National Pasts in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Bangkok
- 10. Japan/China: National Pasts and the Reordering of East Asia
- 11. Europe and East Asia: Intermingled Pasts and Changing Identities
- 12. Afterword: War is Failure.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
With the rise of industrial capitalism in Europe and the related imposition of colonial rule in much of East Asia, both Europe and East Asia have intertwined histories that continue to shape their political thinking and political decision making. The contemporary interactions of the two regions - now once again major trading partners - will both depend upon and facilitate deeper understandings of their respective sets of national pasts. This book compares national pasts as well as the current processes of change taking place in Europe and East Asia, including the dynamics of the European Union in Europe and the re-emergence of the historical centre of China in East Asia. It argues that as the change unfolds in the economic, social and political fields, the various national pasts embedded with the polities of the two regions will also need to be revisited and reworked. This book makes an invaluable contribution to research on comparative politics, as well as studies on South East Asia and Europe.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge studies in the modern history of Asia ; 66
- 9780415561136 (hardback)
- 0415561132 hardback)
- 9780203850022 (ebook)
- 0203850025 (ebook)
- 9780415625500 (pbk.)
- 0415625505 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: