Tactical globalization : learning from the Singapore experiment
- Koh, Aaron, 1967-
- Bern, Switzerland ; New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- 222 p. ; 23 cm.
LC191.8 .S55 K66 2010
- Unknown LC191.8 .S55 K66 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 197-215) and index.
- Contents: Foreword by Fazal Rizvi - Introduction: new narratives of globalization - Contextualizing discourses on globalization: a view from the East - Tactical globalization: the metapragmatics of globalization in Singapore - Schooling and education for globalization: prescriptive experimentation of education change in Singapore - The texturing work of Thinking schools, Learning Nation speech: a critical discourse analysis - The visualization of education policy: a videological analysis of Learning Journeys - Working against globalization: the role of National Education in Singapore - Global flows of foreign talent: identity anxieties in Singapore's ethnoscapes - Conclusion: living with globalization tactically.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is about a small city state's social experiment with globalization. It examines how Singapore conducts its globalization experiment through the state apparatus of schooling and education policy. The author argues that Singapore engages with globalization by anticipating the problem space of globalization with calculated actions and experimentation, termed tactics and tactical globalization in the book. Central to the book is an examination and analysis of the Thinking Schools, Learning Nation education policy and reform. While "Tactical Globalization" contributes to the sociology of globalization by foregrounding new narratives on globalization that are emerging, it also takes a contextual and innovative approach to education policy analysis, which includes a speech-turned-policy document and a nationally televised segment of a documentary called Learning Journeys.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Aaron Koh.
- 9783039105915 (pbk.)
- 3039105914 (pbk.)