Language use in the two-way classroom : lessons from a Spanish-English bilingual kindergarten
- Renée DePalma.
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo : Mulilingual Matters, c2010.
- Physical description
- vii, 202 p. ; 22 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3731 .D47 2010||Unknown|
- DePalma, Renée.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 192-202).
- 1.The Promise and Realities of Two-Way Instruction (TWI) 2.The Pragmatics of TWI Instruction: A Closer Look at What Really Happens 3. From Teaching Philosophies to Classroom Design 4.Making Sure They Don't "Give it Away": Keeping Spanish Alive 5.Daily Rituals and Routines: Safety in the Familiar 6.(Spanish) Language Arts: Participating in the Narrative 7.Tables Time: Language in Activity 8.Housekeeping and Blocks Centers: Keeping them Talking 9.Implications: Real Practices behind the Ideal Model.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847693013 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Based on an extended ethnographic study of a dual language (Spanish-English) Kindergarten, this book takes a critical look at children's linguistic (and non-linguistic) interactions and the ways that teaching design can help or hinder language development. With a focus on official Spanish timeA", it explores the particular challenges of supporting the minority language use as well as the teacher's strategies for doing so. In bilingual classrooms, teachers' goals include bilingualism as well as academic achievement for all. The children may share these interests, but have their own agendas as well. This book explores the linguistic and social interactions that may help, or hinder, these multiple and sometimes conflicting agendas. How can teachers design educational practice that takes into consideration broader forces of language hegemony as well as children's immediate interests?
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847693013 20160604
- Publication date
- Bilingual education & bilingualism
- 9781847693013 (hardback)
- 1847693016 (hardback)
- 9781847693006 (paperback)
- 1847693008 (paperback)
- 9781847693020 (ebook)
- 1847693024 (ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: