Marketing intelligent design : law and the creationist agenda
- Ravitch, Frank S., 1966-
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 344 p. ; 24 cm.
KF4208.5 .S34 R38 2011
- Unknown KF4208.5 .S34 R38 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Designing design-- 2. Big d and manufactured paradigm shifts-- 3. The law and intelligent design-- 4. Theistic evolution-- 5. Dawkins' dilemma-- 6. No intelligence allowed or no intelligible science?-- 7. The Madison Avenue approach to law and science.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Recently a new battle has emerged between science and religion. The battle has focused on intelligent design (ID) and the numerous legal, philosophical and educational concerns surrounding it. Resolution of these concerns centers on two questions: Is ID science? And is ID religion? Despite the fact that ID does not meet the standards of scientific rigor, ID proponents have been able to create a remarkably well-designed marketing plan aimed at imposing a theistic naturalism in schools and scientific discourse. Both the ID movement and some of its most vociferous opponents have a vested interest in suggesting that science, especially evolutionary biology, and religion are incompatible. This book presents a philosophical and legal counterpoint by demonstrating the compatibility between religion and evolutionary biology and the incompatibility between ID and mainstream science.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Creationism > Study and teaching > Law and legislation > United States.
- Evolution (Biology) > Study and teaching > Law and legislation > United States.
- Intelligent design > Study and teaching > United States.
- Creationism > Study and teaching > United States.
- Evolution (Biology) > Study and teaching > United States.
- Religion in the public schools > Law and legislation > United States.
- Publication date
- Frank S. Ravitch.
- 052119153X (hardback)
- 9780521191531 (hardback)
- 0521139260 (pbk.)
- 9780521139267 (pbk.)
- 9780511860614 (e-book)
- 0511860617 (e-book)