About, designing : analysing design meetings
- editors, Janet McDonnell, Peter Lloyd ; associate editors, Fraser Reid, Rachael Luck, Nigel Cross.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- vii, 422 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
At the library
Engineering Library (Terman)
|NK1164 .A26 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1 Introduction
- Part 1: Understanding Design Processes
- 2 Intersections of Brainstorming Rules and Social Order Ben Matthews
- 3 Spider Webbing: A Paradigm for Engineering Design Conversations during Concept Generation Ade Mabogunje, Ozgur Eris, Neeraj Sonalkar, Malte Jung & Larry Leifer
- 4 Co-evolution in Design Practice Isabelle Reymen, Kees Dorst & Frido Smulders
- Part 2: Values in Designing
- 5 Ethical Imagination and Design Peter Lloyd
- 6 The Mechanisms of Value Transfer in Design Meetings Christopher Le Dantec & Ellen Yi-Luen Do
- 7 Affect-in-Cognition through the Language of Appraisals Andy Dong, Maaike Kleinsmann & Rianne Valkenburg
- Part 3: Aspects of Design Cognition
- 8 Analogical Reasoning and Mental Simulation in Design: Two Strategies Linked to Uncertainty Resolution Linden J. Ball & Bo T. Christensen
- 9 Task, Team, Process: The Development of Shared Representations in an Engineering Design Team Petra Badke-Schaub, Kristina Lauche, Andre Neumann & Saeema Ahmed
- 10 Variants and Invariants of Design Cognition Omer Akin
- Part 4: Design Process Models
- 11 The Influence of the Design Task Description on the Course and Outcome of Idea Generation Meetings Kilian Gericke, Michael Schmidt-Kretschmer & Lucienne Blessing
- 12 Using the FBS Ontology to Capture Semantic Design Information in Design Protocol Studies Jeff Kan & John Gero
- Part 5: Language, Discourse and Gesture
- 13 'Does this compromise your design?' Socially Producing a Design Concept in Talk-in-Interaction Rachael Luck
- 14 Collaborative Negotiation in Design: A Study of Design Conversations between Architect and Building Users Janet McDonnell
- 15 The Function of Gesture in an Architectural Design Meeting Willemien Visser
- 16 Aspects of Language Use in Design Conversation Friedrich Glock
- Part 6: Constructing Roles
- 17 Performing Architecture: Talking 'Architect' and 'Client' into Being Arlene Oak
- 18 Behind the Scenes of the Design Theatre: Actors, Roles and the Dynamics of Communication Gabriela Goldschmidt & Doron Eshel
- 19 Exploring the Boundaries: Language, Roles and Structures in Cross-Disciplinary Design Teams Robin Adams, Llewellyn Mann, Shawn Jordan & Shanna Daly
- Part 7: Objects, References, Context
- 20 From Ronchamp by Sledge: On the Pragmatics of Object References Martin Stacey, Claudia Eckert & Chris Earl
- 21 Keeping Traces of Design Meetings through Intermediary Objects Emine Serap Arikoglu, Eric Blanco & Franck Pourroy
- 22 Matters of Context in Design Cynthia Atman, Jim Borgford-Parnell, Katherine Deibel, Allison Kang, ai Ho Ng, Deborah Kilgore & Jennifer Turns.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The twenty-one contributions to About: Designing draw on a rich variety of methodological positions, research backgrounds and design disciplines including architecture, product design, engineering, applied linguistics, communication studies, cognitive psychology, and discourse studies. Collectively these studies comprise a state-of-the-art overview of design thinking research. About: Designing will be of interest to design researchers at any level, as well as specialists in a broad range of design disciplines and social studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "A Balkema book."
- 9780415440585 (paperback)
- 0415440580 (paperback
- 9780203875513 (e-book)
- 0203875516 (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: