Critical essays on resistance in education
- edited by David M. Moss & Terry A. Osborn.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 258 p. ; 23 cm.
- Counterpoints (New York, N.Y.) v. 376.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|HX526 .C75 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: David M. Moss/Terry A. Osborn: Introduction: Considering Resistance - Terry A. Osborn: Planting the Seeds of Resistance: The Times they have a-Changed - Molly K. Ness: Resisting Traditional Notions of Teacher Certification: Reflecting on Teach For America - Dina C. Osborn: Resisting the State: Christian Fundamentalism and A Beka - Timothy Reagan: Critical Pedagogy in the Foreign Language Education Context: Teaching Esperanto as a Subversive Activity - David I. Smith: Teaching (and Learning from) the White Rose - Jason Goulah: Dialogic Resistance in Education: Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, Daisaku Ikeda and Transformative Language Learning - Marshall A. George: Resisting Mandated Literacy Curricula in Urban Middle Schools - Kristen Hawley Turner: Fighting the Fear of Failure: Resisting the Effects of THE TEST in a Thinking-based Writing Class - Thomas H. Levine: A Small Group of Thoughtful, Committed Citizens: Social Studies Classrooms as Communities of Practice That Enable Social Action - Jo Ann Freiberg: The Challenge of Bullying in U.S. Schools: Resistance and Reaction - Kathleen P. King: We Want to Be Heard: Using Instructional Technology to Resist Student Silence - John Craven & Tracy Hogan: Resisting an Unbecoming Science - Julie M. Kittleson/Robert J. Ceglie: Being at Crossroads: Resisting the Typical Conference Format to Rekindle Passions and Priorities in Science Education - David M. Moss: Should We Teach Resistance?
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433107887 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- The notion of resistance resides as a deep-seated premise underpinning the democratic foundation of the United States. Given the distinctive standing of public education in the U.S., this book explores the multiple roles - and numerous contexts - that resistance plays in contemporary educational settings. Resistance in education creates, or reflects, the multiple counter-discourses that arise to challenge the one or more dominant discourses in any given educational setting. There is potency in the plurality of the varied and sometimes controversial arguments provided by each essay in this volume, which should be read by everyone interested in the concept within the framework of education today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433107887 20160604
- Publication date
- Counterpoints : studies in the postmodern theory of education, 1058-1634 ; v. 376
- 9781433107887 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433107880 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: