Educating the whole child for the whole world : the Ross School Model and education for the Global Era
- edited by Marcelo M. Suárez-Orozco and Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj.
- New York : New York University Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 212 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC996 .N7 E38 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents-- Foreword: Reflections of a Ross School Graduate, vii-- Nick Appelbaum-- Introduction: Architectures of Care--Educating the Whole Child for the Whole World-- Marcelo M. Suarez-Orozco, Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj, and Carola Suarez-Orozco 6-- Part I Rethinking Education in the Global Era-- 1 Education in an Era of Specialized Knowledge, 44-- Vartan Gregorian-- 2 The Case for Global Education, 64-- John Sexton-- 3 A Tangled Web: Reflections on the Roles of Sciences, Policy, and Assessment in Education, 71-- Howard Gardner-- Part II The New Science of Engagement: Mind, Brain and Education in School Context-- 4 Mind, Brain and Education, 86-- Antonio Damasio and Hanna Damasio-- 5 Research Schools: Connecting Research and Practice at the Ross School, 97-- Christina Hinton and Kurt W. Fischer-- 6 Toward a New Educational Philosophy, 112-- Hideaki Koizumi-- Part III Creativity and Integration-- 7 Multimedia Literacy: A Critical Component of 21st Century Education, 132-- Elizabeth M. Daley-- 8 Object Lessons, 147-- Sherry Turkle-- 9 The Trouble with Math, Ralph Abraham 165-- Part IV Theories and Practices-- 10 Choreographing the Curriculum: The Founder's Influence as Artist, Visionary and Humanitarian, 190-- Debra McCall-- 11 Mathematics and Culture, 209-- William Irwin Thompson-- 12 The Butterflies of the Soul, 217-- Antonio M. Battro-- 13 Educating the Whole Child for the Whole World: The Ross Model in Sweden, 226-- Sally Booth with the collaboration of Michele Clays-- Epilogue: We Are Waiting for You, Pedro Noguera, 249-- Conclusion: Marcelo M. Suarez-Orozco and Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj, 257-- About the Contributors, 260-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780814741405 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- At the dawn of the twenty-first century, we are living in a global era, yet schooling systems remain generally reactive and slow to adapt to shifting economic, technological, demographic, and cultural terrains. There is a growing urgency to create, evaluate, and expand new models of education that are better synchronized with the realities of today's globally linked economies and societies. Educating the Whole Child for the Whole World examines one such model: the ethos and practices of the Ross Schools and their incubation, promotion, and launching of new ideas and practices into public education. Over the last two decades Ross has come to articulate a systematic approach to education consciously tailored for a new era of global interdependence. In this volume, world-renowned scholars from a variety of disciplines, as well as veteran teachers, administrators, and students, come together to examine some of the best practices in K-12 education in the context of an increasingly interconnected world. Together they explore how the Ross model of education, which cultivates in students a global perspective, aligns with broader trends in the arts, humanities, and sciences in the new millennium.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780814741405 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780814741405 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0814741401 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780814741412 (e-book)
- 081474141X (e-book)
- 9780814738139 (pbk.)
- 0814738133 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: