Steady and strong : people skills for principals
- Thompson, Russ, 1955-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 153 p. ; 23 cm.
LB2831.92 .T46 2010
- Unknown LB2831.92 .T46 2010
- Part 1 Acknowledgements Chapter 2 Introduction Part 3 Part One: Discipline Chapter 4 Are You Going to Quit Too? Chapter 5 Class Time Was Like Lunch Time Chapter 6 It Was the Best He Had Seen Chapter 7 Saturday School Chapter 8 The First Award of His Entire Life Chapter 9 After School Chapter 10 It Was Almost a Real Emergency Chapter 11 Riot Part 12 Part Two: Leadership Chapter 13 Always Watching You Chapter 14 Priorities Chapter 15 Also Listen to the Quiet Voices Chapter 16 We Are Not as Bad As... Chapter 17 Making People Happy Is Not Your Job Chapter 18 I Went Over to My Shelf Chapter 19 Pick Up the Phone Chapter 20 A Leader Who Got Things Done Chapter 21 The Learning in Classrooms Chapter 22 The Real Problem Chapter 23 I Had Firmly Believed Chapter 24 It Is People Who Solve Problems Chapter 25 The Right Kind of Faculty Meeting Chapter 26 Focus on the Solutions Chapter 27 Now We Are a Good School Part 28 Part Three: Management Chapter 29 So Wrong Chapter 30 The Foundation of Your Entire School Chapter 31 You Have to Go Out and Look for Problems Chapter 32 Tragedy Chapter 33 Another Tragedy Chapter 34 Exhaustion Chapter 35 The Best Way to Spend Your Time Chapter 36 It Is Not a Perfect World Chapter 37 Almost a Disaster Chapter 38 Delegation Chapter 39 Delegation Gone Bad Chapter 40 Deadlines Chapter 41 Ask Questions Chapter 42 It Was His First Day Chapter 43 The Real Answer Chapter 44 What to Fix First Chapter 45 Will It Help Students Learn Better? Chapter 46 What Do I Do Now? Chapter 47 Phone Calls Chapter 48 The Entire Contract Chapter 49 A Sacrifice You Must Make Part 50 Part Four: People Chapter 51 In the Middle of Kids Chapter 52 A Positive Learning Environment Chapter 53 It Was Distorted and Very Negative Chapter 54 A Mistake I Could Not Fix Chapter 55 You Must Also Be Persuasive Chapter 56 Take Time with People Chapter 57 Saved by a Tape Recorder Chapter 58 It's Who Listens that Counts Chapter 59 It Happened Behind My Back Chapter 60 He Lied to Me and I Believed Him Chapter 61 I Was Highly Upset Chapter 62 Gossip Chapter 63 Don't Say It Chapter 64 Delay Makes It Worse Chapter 65 Talk to the Person in Person Chapter 66 Target Practice Chapter 67 Ask for Advice Chapter 68 A Very Big Difference Chapter 69 Remember the Positives Chapter 70 Steady and Strong Part 71 Index Part 72 About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In Steady and Strong: People Skills for Principals, Russ Thompson describes his experiences as the successful principal of three urban high schools. The challenges he faced ranged from gang activity and racial conflicts, to low expectations and ineffective teaching. Most of these challenges involved people issues. No matter what went wrong, he had to find a way to overcome obstacles and keep moving forward. Thompson takes you behind the scenes to learn from his mistakes and examine the strategies he used to solve problems and make improvements. He also provides important tools that will help you to achieve success and create a school where every student learns at high levels every day.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Russ Thompson.
- Includes index.
- 9781607099758 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607099756 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607099765 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099764 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099772 (ebook)
- 1607099772 (ebook)