You cannot start without me [videorecording] : : Valery Gergiev, maestro = Impossible de commencer sans moi
- Thirteen/WNET New York in association with White Nights Foundation of America and NPS presents ; produced by Margaret Smilow, Allan Miller ; directed and edited by Allan Miller ; co-producer, Sonoko Aoyagi Leopold ; DVD producer, Kristin Lovejoy.
- Russian, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish. In English and Russian with optional subtitles in German, English, Japanese, French, Russian, and Spanish.
- [Paris] : BelAir Classiques, c2009.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (87 min) : sd., col., with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
At the library
- Gergiev, Valeriĭ, 1953- Performer
- Smilow, Margaret Producer
- Miller, Allan, 1933- Producer
- Lovejoy, Kristin. Producer
- Sheldon, Douglas G. Interviewee
- Lopatkina, Uliana. Interviewee
- Netrebko, Anna Interviewee
- Musin, I. (Ilʹi͡a), 1904-1999
- Forbes, Christopher, 1955- Interviewee
- Kurdin, Alekseĭ. Interviewee
- Grett, German. Interviewee
- Bronfman, Yefim Performer
- Fleming, Renée Performer
- Hvorostovsky, Dmitri Performer
- Kavakos, Leonidas Performer
- Aoyagi Leopold, Sonoko. Producer
- Rotterdams Philharmonisch Orkest. Performer
- London Symphony Orchestra Performer
- Mariinskiĭ teatr (1991- ) Performer
- Mariinskiĭ teatr (1991- ). Orkestr Performer
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.). Orchestra Performer
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.) Performer
- White Nights Foundation of America. Producer
- Nederlandse Programma Stichting Producer
- WNET (Television station : New York, N.Y.) Producer
- Bel Air Classiques.
- This documentary presents a portrait of Valeriĭ Gergiev the man and artist; it reveals how Gergiev combines an impossible international conducting schedule with his job as artistic director of the Mariinsky Opera and Ballet, in St. Petersburg.
- Included Work
- Stravinsky, Igor, 1882-1971. Vesna svi͡ashchennai͡a Selections.
- Prokofiev, Sergey, 1891-1953. Ala et Lolly Selections.
- Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilich, 1840-1893. Evgeniĭ Onegin. Selections.
- Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilich, 1840-1893. Symphonies, no. 5, op. 64, E minor. Selections.
- Gergiev, Valeriĭ, 1953-
- Conductors (Music) > Russia (Federation) > Biography.
- Opera producers and directors > Russia (Federation) > Biography.
- White Nights Foundation of America.
- Mariinskiĭ teatr (1991- )
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Impossible de commencer sans moi
- Valery Gergiev, maestro
- "EDV 1681."--Container.
- Program notes in English inserted in container.
- Special features include fragments of reheasals and actual performances with Georgiev conducting Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky in performance of the London Symphony Orchestra, the Scythian Suite by Sergey Prokofiev in performance of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, the opera Eugene Onegin in production of the Metropolitan Opera, and Symphony no. 5 by Tchaikovsky performed by the orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg.
- Production Credits
- Supervising producers, Jinko Tsunashima, Kristin Lovejoy; sound editors, Donald Klocek, Dave Ellinwood.
- Interviews and commentary in multiple reheasals: Valery Gergiev, conductor, Mariinsky Theatre director; Doug Sheldon, manager for Mr. Gergiev ; Uliana Lopatkina, dancer with Maryinsky Ballet ; members of the Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra; Anna Netrebko, opera singer with the Mariinsky Theatre ; I.A. Musin, conductor, professor (arhival shooting) ; members of the London Symphony Orchestra ; Christopher Forbes ; Alexei Kurdin, Russian Finance Minister ; German Grett, Russian Minister of Economy; performers: Yefim Bronfman, Renée Fleming, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Leonidas Kovakos, Uliana Lopatkina & Anna Netrebko; Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra; London Symphony Orchestra; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra; Valery Gergiev, conductor.
- Original documentary produced by Thirteen / WNET New York in association with White Nights Foundation of America and NPS in 2008.
- DVD 9; NTSC, region code: 0; aspect ratio: 16:9; PCM stereo; Dolby Digital 5.1 sound formats; designed for playback on all NTSC and modern PAL compatible systems worldwide.
- Publisher Number
- BAC053 BelAir Classiques
Browse related items
Start at call number: