Challenge to the new republic : the War of 1812
- 4th ed.
- Providence, RI : Choices for the 21st Century Education Program, Watson Institute for International Studies, Brown University, c2009.
- Physical description
- ii, 41 p. : ill., map ; 28 cm. + 1 teacher resource book (ii, 40 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.)
- Choices for the 21st century.
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: 1 v.
Library has: Supplement: 1 v.
|E357 .C49 2009||Unknown|
|E357 .C49 2009 SUPPL||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Map: The United States in 1810
- Introduction: A new nation
- Part I: Setting precedents in a dangerous world. The Washington administration (1789-1797). The Adams administration (1797-1801)
- Part II: The failure of peaceable coercion. The Jefferson administration (1801-1809). Madison's first administration (1809-1813)
- June 1812: The moment of decision
- Options in brief. Option 1: Defend rights and honor through unlimited war. Option 2: Defend rights and honor through limited maritime war. Option 3: Delay an armed conflict until prepared. Option 4: Rights and honor are not worth bloodshed
- Epilogue: The war and its consequences
- Chronology: 1787-1815
- Supplementary documents
- Supplementary resources.
- Teacher resource book. The Choices approach to historical turning points
- Note to teachers
- Integrating this unit into your curriculum
- Reading strategies and suggestions
- Day one: Setting precedents in a dangerous world
- Day two: Interpreting political cartoons
- Day three: Role-playing the four options : organization and preparation
- Day four: Role-playing the four options : debate and discussion
- Day five: The war and its consequences
- Extra challenge: Topics for further investigation
- Key terms
- Issues toolbox
- Making Choices work in your classroom
- Assessment guide for oral presentations
- Alternative three-day lesson plan.
- United States > History > War of 1812 > Causes.
- United States > History > War of 1812 > Causes > Study and teaching (Secondary) > United States.
- United States > History > 1783-1815.
- United States > History > 1783-1815 > Study and teaching (Secondary) > United States.
- United States > Foreign relations.
- United States > Foreign relations > Study and teaching (Secondary) > United States.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- War of 1812
- Choices for the 21st century
- Title from cover.
- "Choices for the 21st Education Program, September 2009"--P.  of cover.
- Grades 9-12.
Browse related items
Start at call number: